[Success][Guide] OpenCore Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X i7 10700 (Big Sur/Catalina)

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Fair play to you then, as nearly all the guides and information I have read about the RX 550 say that it is not supported, if it is using a Lexa chip. These cards even have trouble running on the VESA drivers contained in macOS, which all unsupported GPU's use by default.

Below is a link showing the unsupported AMD GPU's on the Dortania GPU Buyers guide.

#Unsupported AMD GPUs

Railgun

macOS
Mobo
GigaByte Z490 Gaming X
CPU
i7 10700
GPU
Sapphire RX580
IMPORTANT UPDATE ISSUE!
There is an issue with USB ports after update to macOS Big Sur 11.3 released today.

bigsur113update.png

After updating, lost all USB 3.x ports. Only the back top USB 2.0 ports are working (these are turned off in my usb port map kext). Changing to USBInjectAll has same issue... looking into it at the moment.

My clone backup or Big Sur 11.2.3 still works fine. Be aware!

UPDATE Temp Fix.....
Note, if you have updated to 11.3 and are stuck:
1. For now plug your keyboard and mouse into the TOP two usb ports (2.0 ports) at the top/back of your computer which should be working.

2. Mount your EFI partition and open the OC config file.

3. Do a find (command F) and search for XhciPortLimit. Change from true to false.

4. Save the file, reboot. When OC menu comes up do a reset NVRAM. Next boot into 11.3 and you can plug your devices back into 3.x ports.

Note at this point all the ports work even the canceled 2.x ports. There should be a better fix soon, but for now the ports work.

Last edited:
macOS
Mobo
Z490 GAMING X
CPU
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10400F
GPU
Radeon RX 5600 XT 6 GB
IMPORTANT UPDATE ISSUE!
There is an issue with USB ports after update to macOS Big Sur 11.3 released today.

View attachment 11326

After updating, lost all USB 3.x ports. Only the back top USB 2.0 ports are working (these are turned off in my usb port map kext). Changing to USBInjectAll has same issue... looking into it at the moment.

My clone backup or Big Sur 11.2.3 still works fine. Be aware!

UPDATE Temp Fix.....
Note, if you have updated to 11.3 and are stuck:
1. For now plug your keyboard and mouse into the TOP two usb ports (2.0 ports) at the top/back of your computer which should be working.

2. Mount your EFI partition and open the OC config file.

3. Do a find (command F) and search for XhciPortLimit. Change from true to false.

4. Save the file, reboot. When OC menu comes up do a reset NVRAM. Next boot into 11.3 and you can plug your devices back into 3.x ports.

Note at this point all the ports work even the canceled 2.x ports. There should be a better fix soon, but for now the ports work.
Thank for info @Railgun, i will wait for fix.

John1988

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X
CPU
i5 10600
GPU
Powercolor RX 5700
USB Mapping seems to be working fine here.

I did expirence the same issue regarding USB 3.0 and used the temp fix suggested by @Railgun to get USB 3.0 ports usable. But I have a Steelseries headset which I had to reconnect after a reboot before they could be recognized.

So I used https://github.com/corpnewt/USBMap to create the USB mapping. And so far it seems to be working. All my USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 devices are recognized and I don't have to reconnect the headset after a boot-up.
After creating the new USBMap.kext, I mounted the EFI and replaced the USBPorts.kext with USBMap.kext. I then opened Propertree to edit the config.plist. I set xhciPortLimit back to True and made a clean snapshot. Restarted my hackintosh and reset NVRAM. I have made some more reboot after that, and everything seems to be working great.

Last edited:

Railgun

macOS
Mobo
GigaByte Z490 Gaming X
CPU
i7 10700
GPU
Sapphire RX580
John, do you have all the ports open or are you able to set the 15 port limit?

With xhciPortLimit set to false, all ports are open and any mapping kext is negated. However running USBMap.command states there are 15 ports when in fact all the ports are open. Physically check if all your ports work... this would mean that custom mapping to set a 15 port limit is not successful.

Last edited:

John1988

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X
CPU
i5 10600
GPU
Powercolor RX 5700
@Railgun "Unfortunatly" you are right. I tested with a USB 2.0 and 3.0 flash drive at the front IO of my NZXT H500, and none of the flash drives were recognized in MacOS. The same thing happens if I use a USB port at the back, that wasn't in use when I made the USB mapping. But if I unplug a USB device, which was plugged during the USB mapping, and plug in the flash drive, the flash drive is recognized immediately. So it would seem that USBMap only maps currently active ports. Or am I missing something?

Railgun

macOS
Mobo
GigaByte Z490 Gaming X
CPU
i7 10700
GPU
Sapphire RX580
I think any mapping is out at this time. I would just set hciPortLimit to false and all your ports should work.

When I first built my system I was running without mapping for a long while. But because people were saying that there is a chance of data loss in transfers, one should map ports to the apple 15 port limit. I never had an issue with all ports usable, but to be on the safe side I eventually mapped. For now and until there is a new fix, I am not really worried about the limit.

Last edited:

Railgun

macOS
Mobo
GigaByte Z490 Gaming X
CPU
i7 10700
GPU
Sapphire RX580
Update to MacOS 11.3.1 Big Sur

11.3.1 update.png

No problem installing OS update. Port mapping is not working since 11.3. Make sure to set XhciPortLimit to false in OpenCore confing file.

Updated files to OpenCore 0.6.9

Release Notes: https://github.com/acidanthera/OpenCorePkg/releases

My EFI file is updated to OpenCore 0.6.9 for Big Sur 11.3.x (see attached file in first post). Note as of Big Sur 11.3 port mapping dose not work. Therefore XhciPortLimit is set to false and all ports are usable.

Big Sur 11.0 to 11.2.3 users can use the OpenCore 0.6.9 files but should set XhciPortLimit to true to take advantage of port mapping.

Catalina users can use the OpenCore 0.6.9 files however must set SMBIOS to iMac19,1 and change XhciPortLimit to true.

Last edited:

Latest posts