[Success][Guide] OpenCore Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X i7 10700 (Monterey/Big Sur/Catalina)

Railgun

macOS
Mobo
GigaByte Z490 Gaming X
CPU
i7 10700
GPU
Sapphire RX580
It's OK... I originally thought you were describing folder structure as I always use / or >. :giggle:

John1988

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X
CPU
i5 10600
GPU
Powercolor RX 5700
Updated to Big Sur 11.6 without any issues. Latest OC and kexts. USB ports seems to be working just fine.

Attachments

macOS
Mobo
Z490 GAMING X
CPU
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10600K
GPU
Radeon RX 5600 XT 6 GB
@Railgun updated EFI successfully, i will update macos version now.

its look like you forgot your platform information data inside config.plist !

and

I am planning to upgrade my 5600XT to 6600XT, do i need make changes on your EFI folder or will it work directly ?

Railgun

macOS
Mobo
GigaByte Z490 Gaming X
CPU
i7 10700
GPU
Sapphire RX580
lifteri, read my release notes on OpenCore 073. The EFI would not boot without proper SMBIOS information filled out. So I could not just fill in place holder text like in the past. I just generated one as a placeholder.... people need to replace it with their own.

Not sure about GPU upgrade. From discussions I have seen online, 6600XT will not have support in Big Sur. Wait a bit for Monterey and see.

Last edited:

imatrix83

Mobo
Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X
CPU
Intel Core i7 10700K
GPU
Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 8GB Special Edition
imatrix83, This is where I had issues with 073 Themes. My custom theme worked fine but as soon as I changed it, the EFI would not boot. I am not sure if it is OC or PropperTree (I think it is the later). Anyway I just tested GoldenGate... I edited the path in TextEdit App instead of PropperTree. Attached below is the same EFI with that change (GoldenGate Theme).

View attachment 12180

Thank you so much it looks so amazing also ive updated to the new 11.6 without issues smoothest update ever :)

ebbot

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z490 GamingX AX
CPU
i5-10600
GPU
Sapphire RX580
Than you very much @Railgun for your effort! I got a great deal on a GamingX AX for my new budget build and already had a RX580 so I based everything around that. I followed your instructions and everything worked perfectly. Your USB mapping was spot on. I just added itlwm.kext for the Intel wi-fi. I have not got bluetooth up and running yet, I haven't done much research on that yet.
My old computer was an 11 year old Mac Pro 5.1, the difference in performance compared to that is incredible:)
As I am on a tight budget I bought some used parts, a Fractal Define S case and a Corsair 750W PSU. Got great deals on the MB, Arctic 420 AIO cooler and RAM. The CPU was full price though.
Again, great work @Railgun (y)

Railgun

macOS
Mobo
GigaByte Z490 Gaming X
CPU
i7 10700
GPU
Sapphire RX580
ebbot... the motherboard AX version is a good deal. I just did a Windows 10 build last month using that for my nephew. I got him the i7 10700K for $250 USD. We also had an older power supply and GPU so we saved some money there.

Good to know about the WIFI fix. (y)

ebbot

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z490 GamingX AX
CPU
i5-10600
GPU
Sapphire RX580
Finally got Bluetooth working... Apparently I had the wrong order of kexts in the config.plist. USBPorts.kext first, then itlwm.kext, followed by IntelBluetoothInjector.kext and then IntelBluetoothFirmware.kext should do the trick!:)

Airdrop don't work, but that was expected...

Railgun

macOS
Mobo
GigaByte Z490 Gaming X
CPU
i7 10700
GPU
Sapphire RX580
Updated to OpenCore v0.7.4 (download new attached EFI from first post).

OpenCore 0.7.4 Release Notes: https://github.com/acidanthera/OpenCorePkg/releases

My EFI release notes:
  1. All the kext are up to date.
  2. USBPorts.kext (port mapping) holds.
  3. Theme is set to Acidanthera\GoldenGate.
  4. You need to Edit the config.plist and replace the MLB, SystemSerialNumber and SystemUUID under platforminfo with your own. There is temporary info already in the file so it can boot.
  5. Use iMac20,1 SMBIOS for Big Sur/Monterey Public Beta.
  6. Intel Core i9 10900 use iMac20,2 SMBIOS.
*Not tested with Catalina. I no longer test for Catalina as I do not have that macOS installed.

Last edited:
macOS
Mobo
Z490 GAMING X
CPU
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10600K
GPU
Radeon RX 5600 XT 6 GB
@Railgun thanks

I compared 0.7.3 config.plist with 0.7.4 config.plist both files looks same and old 0.7.3 config.plist can be used.

Railgun

macOS
Mobo
GigaByte Z490 Gaming X
CPU
i7 10700
GPU
Sapphire RX580
There is not much change... a couple of newer kext versions.

Railgun

macOS
Mobo
GigaByte Z490 Gaming X
CPU
i7 10700
GPU
Sapphire RX580
MacOS Monterey Officially Released Today
Download from the app store

Monterey Install Media Icon.jpg
If you want to create a full installer...

Creating an installer for macOS Monterey:
1. Insert the USB Tumb drive
2. Open /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility
3. Highlight the USB thumb drive in left column
4. Click on the Erease tab
5. Choose GUID Partition Table
6. Under Name: type MyVolume
7. Under Format: choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
8. Click Apply
9. Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal. Copy/paste the following to create the install media on your thumb drive:

Code:
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Monterey.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Monterey.app --nointeraction

After that is done, you will need to mount the thumb drive's EFI partition and copy the OpenCore 074 EFI folder (provided in the 1st post) to make it bootable.

I suggest to test install on a spare disk. All went well for me (y)

Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 2.38.27 PM.png

Last edited:
Mobo
Gigabyte gaming x
CPU
i5-10400
MacOS Monterey Officially Released Today
Download from the app store

View attachment 12314
If you want to create a full installer...

Creating an installer for macOS Monterey:
1. Insert the USB Tumb drive
2. Open /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility
3. Highlight the USB thumb drive in left column
4. Click on the Erease tab
5. Choose GUID Partition Table
6. Under Name: type MyVolume
7. Under Format: choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
8. Click Apply
9. Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal. Copy/paste the following to create the install media on your thumb drive:

Code:
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Monterey.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Monterey.app --nointeraction

After that is done, you will need to mount the thumb drive's EFI partition and copy the OpenCore 074 EFI folder (provided in the 1st post) to make it bootable.

I suggest to test install on a spare disk. All went well for me (y)

View attachment 12315
Is it possible the direct update from Big Sur without a clear installation?

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Yes, using the Apple 'Software Update' method. You need to update to the latest version of Clover or version 0.7.4 of OpenCore before you use the System Preferences > Software Update method.

You would be advised to create a clone/backup of your current system if you choose to update.

Railgun

macOS
Mobo
GigaByte Z490 Gaming X
CPU
i7 10700
GPU
Sapphire RX580
What I have read is that you will need OpenCore 074... though I did not test an upgrade from Big Sur 11.6, I may do so soon. For me as I am testing Monterey on a spare disk, I am finding a few apps do not work at all and one major one that i use is sometimes crashing on launch (not all the time).

Mobo
Gigabyte gaming x
CPU
i5-10400
What I have read is that you will need OpenCore 074... though I did not test an upgrade from Big Sur 11.6, I may do so soon. For me as I am testing Monterey on a spare disk, I am finding a few apps do not work at all and one major one that i use is sometimes crashing on launch (not all the time).
Update finished just a minute ago.
At the moments seem to work, except for the new feature AirPlay on Mac that returns the error "Cannot connect to..."