macOS
Mobo
GigaByte Z490 Gaming X
CPU
i7 10700
GPU
Sapphire RX580
DSC_4711.jpg

The Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X can easily be hackintoshed using OpenCore (v0.6.x). This was a very simple build, minimal in hardware and easy to set up. As I am on a LAN line, I do not use (nor will I cover) Wifi and Bluetooth neither come with the motherboard but you can easily purchase an add-on card solution if needed.

DSC_4702.jpg

Hardware:

Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X (ATX)
Intel i7 10700
Stock Cooler
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 PC4-28800 CL16
Samsung EVO+ 500GB NVMe
Sapphire RX580
Corsair TX650W PSU (I am re-using this PSU from a previous build)
NZXT H510 Case

Working:

Ethernet
Audio (AppleALC)
Sleep / Wake

Not Working:

iGPU (I have not tried to make this work)

What you will need:
UPDATED:
(Sep 15, 2020) The attached EFI zip files have been updated to OpenCore v0.6.1
if you want to do your own USB Mapping:

Create the Installer:

My Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X EFI was made from scratch using the sample config and Dortania's OpenCore Install Guide. I do recommend going through the guide and creating your own. It is very well documented and you will gain the knowledge. However, if you just want to get going, I have attached my files below. Note that my EFI includes port mapping and that I have taken out my serial numbers as you will want to generate your own (both subjects covered later in this post).

1. Get a copy of Mac OS X - I am using Catalina 10.15.5 - Make sure it is in your applications folder.
  2. Make a bootable Thumb drive - I used an 8GB Kingston traveler.
  3. Use DiskUtility to format the thumb drive to GUID partition.
  4. Run the following Apple command in the terminal app to create the install media (replace MyVolume with your thumb drive name).
    Code:
    sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume
  5. After that is done, will need to mount the EFI partition of the installer thumb drive. Use Clover Configurator to mount the partition.
  6. Now copy the EFI folder that you downloaded to the thumb drives EFI partition.

NOTE:
(I recommend to change this beforehand) I had one issue you may or may not encounter. If you get an error within the installation process saying "this installation is damaged", delete Installinfo.plist from the installer disk:
  • Open the "Install macOS Catalina" Disk (thumb drive)
  • Right Click on the package "Install macOS Catalina"
  • Click on "Package Contents"
  • Go to Contents > SharedSupport
  • Delete Installlnfo.plist
BIOS Settings (bios version is F2 as of this writing):

For the Gigabyte motherboards, on boot screen press the DELETE key to enter the bios. You can toggle simple and advanced by pressing the F2 key. We need advanced.

Go to Save & Exit and select Load Optimized Defaults

Go to Favorites:
  • Set Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P) - Profile 1
  • CSM Support - Disabled
  • VT-d - Disabled
Got to Settings - IO Ports:
  • Initial Display Output - PCIe 1 (I am using a graphics card/not iGPU)
  • Initial Graphics - Enabled (not Auto)
  • Above 4G Decoding - Enabled
Go to Settings - IO Ports - USB Config:
  • XHCI Hand-Off - Enabled
Go to Boot - Windows 10 Features - Other OS (I am not running Windows. However, I believe you can also set this to Windows and it will still work)

Go to Boot - CSM Support - Disabled

Save & Exit

Installing Mac OS X Catalina:

You should now be able to boot from the installer thumb drive (press F12 for boot menu). Install Mac OS X Catalina (you will need to format your internal HD... I used APFS/GUID on my internal NVMe). There will be restarts during the installation process, make sure it restarts from the thumb drive except on the final restart which should be your internal HD.

When you boot Mac OS X, you will get the usual black screen with the Apple logo and loading bar... then you may get a black screen no logo (don't panic) give it a moment and you will see the logo again or just get right into the desktop. This is normal.

Post Install:

At this point you may need to set one thing to get audio. Go system preferences > Sound and set output to internal speakers which would be the GREEN output from the rear IO.

Go to System Preferences and set the Startup Disk to your internal HD. This will also set the default selection in the list when OpenCore boots.

We need the EFI folder on the internal HD to boot from it... Mount your internal HD EFI partition (use Clover Configurator to mount the partitions) and then mount your installer thumb drive EFI partition. Copy the EFI folder from the thumb drive EFI partition to the internal hard drive EFI partition. Restart and it should boot from the internal HD.

Get iServices working:

You will need to generate your own serials for MLB, SystemSerialNumber and SystemUUID. You can generate them with Clover Configurator and then copy/paste them into the config.plist under PlatformInfo (see images below).

• Mount your HD's EFI partition to access and edit your config file (EFI/OC/config.plist).
  • In Clover Configurator under SMBIOS click the little fly out button/list on the middle right side (see image below), choose iMac19,1. Then click the Generate New button.

When you generate your SN, you should check it first to make sure it is not in use. Go to:

https://checkcoverage.apple.com

Input your SN and if you get "We’re sorry, but this serial number isn’t valid. Please check your information and try again." then that means you can use it.

cloverconfig.png

configfile.png

USB Port Mapping:

The Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X has the following:

On the Motherboard: One 3.1 Gen Type A header and One 2.0/1.1 header

On the back panel (IO): Two USB 2.0 and Six USB 3.2 ports

The port limitation in Mac OS X is 15. USB 2.0 ports count as 1 and USB 3.x count as 2 each. I used Hackintool to identify and create my USBPorts.kext

In the images below all the ports are tagged appropriately but depending on your needs you may have to change which ports you disable. I chose to disable the two top USB 2.0 ports on the back IO. I plan on installing an NZXT Kraken cooler in the future and will need the internal USB 2.0 header on the motherboard for that. And since my build is in a NZXT H510 case, I will need the motherboard's 3.1 header for the front panel USB 3.1 port. Note there is no USB Type C header on this motherboard, so for the H510 case, I had to just leave that unplugged and tucked away. I don't have type C devices but if you do there are variations of this motherboard that have it (as well as some other solutions like PCIe cards and header converters).

Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X Internal USB Mapping.png

Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X IO USB Mapping.png

If you want to map your own ports, Hackintool is the easiest way to do so. Place USBInjectAll.kext in your EFI Kext folder (remove my USBPorts.kext) and update the config file under “Kernel” accordingly.

config usb change.png

Restart your computer and then run Hackintool. Now check the images shown above for port id's and individually delete the ports you will not use under USB in the Hackintool list (see image below). Remember 15 is the limit! when you have 15 showing in Hackintool list, click the export icon at the bottom and some files will be saved to the destination you choose (desktop). You will only need the kext file. Install the kext file into your EFI>Kext Folder and remove USBInjectAll.kext, update your config file to reflect the change… restart your computer.

Hackintool.png

Final Notes:

I am coming off a 14-year-old Hackintosh that has served me well (I was capped out at El Capitan). I have been running this new build for over a month now. At first, I used some EFI's from other people’s builds that I found online and all ran well but I can tell you after taking the time and building my own EFI from scratch using the OpenCore guide, this build boots noticeably faster and runs great! The Intel 10th gen stock cooler is OK for now and system is very quiet. The Sapphire RX580 is also great, it's fans hardly ever come on. They do run at start up. I have read that most modern GPU’s will control the fans as needed, but I wanted to see for myself and so I ran a little program called GPUTest to push it and the fans did work perfectly under load (also very quiet).

I am very happy with this build as it meets my needs... graphic design, illustration, digital painting, a little website building and lately a lot of writing. My budget was $1,000USD but I came in at $780USD. I plan on adding another NVMe drive, a new keyboard (waiting for Black Friday deal) and possibly upgrade my monitor to a 32".

Performance:

I am a complete novice on testing but here are some initial results.

geekbnech003.png

geekbench001.png

geekbench002.png

CINEBENCH 7-15-20.png

Attachments

Last edited:

Railgun

macOS
Mobo
GigaByte Z490 Gaming X
CPU
i7 10700
GPU
Sapphire RX580
Update:
On a 2nd disk I have updated from 10.15.6 to Big Sur Public Beta. No change to the EFI.
Just note the public beta as an upgrade (not a fresh install) takes over an hour to install. This was on a spare mechanical HD for testing.

Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 5.55.39 PM.png

My initial opinion of Big Sur... menu bar is hard on the eyes and disappointing if you like the "Light" interface. More security implemented in this OS that you may have to dance around.

Well good luck!

Last edited:

Railgun

macOS
Mobo
GigaByte Z490 Gaming X
CPU
i7 10700
GPU
Sapphire RX580
Updated EFI to OpenCore v0.6.1
My attached EFI files in the 1st post are now up-to-date (rebuilt) to OpenCore v0.6.1. This includes all the latest ACPI/Drivers/Kexts. Remember to edit the config.plist and put in your own MLB, SystemSerialNumber and SystemUUID.

UPDATE: Sep 15, 2020. There was an error in the file if you downloaded the EFI.zip yesterday (Sep 14th), please delete it and grab the new one.

Last edited:

sulinehk

macOS
Mobo
Z490 Gaming X
CPU
i7-10700K
GPU
RX 5700 XT
Updated EFI to OpenCore v0.6.1
My attached EFI files in the 1st post are now up-to-date (rebuilt) to OpenCore v0.6.1. This includes all the latest ACPI/Drivers/Kexts. Remember to edit the config.plist and put in your own MLB, SystemSerialNumber and SystemUUID.

UPDATE: Sep 15, 2020. There was an error in the file if you downloaded the EFI.zip yesterday (Sep 14th), please delete it and grab the new one.
Hardware:

Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X (ATX)
Intel i7 10700K
Sapphire RX5700XT OC

Thank you again for your work, it is very enlightening to me.

I also hope to ask you a few questions that are bothering me:

Why not upgrade to iMac20,1 SMBIOS? Is iMac20,1 better than iMac19,1?

Why not fix the boot-args/layout-id of AppleALC to DeviceProperties? Is there any deep meaning?

If I want to use iGPU for computing tasks, what should I do? just add framebuffer-patch-enable to true?

Also, my hackintosh starts much slower than windows, is this normal?

My English is not very good, thank you for your answer.

Railgun

macOS
Mobo
GigaByte Z490 Gaming X
CPU
i7 10700
GPU
Sapphire RX580
sulinehk,

You can try iMac20.1 SMBIOS. I don't know if it would make a difference performance wise. I want to try it myself when I have time. ;)

When I did this motherboard, all my research showed (from other hackintosher's) that no one had success with getting iGPU working at the time. You could check for similarities of the iGPU for the Vision D or other Z490 Gigabyte boards (if it's working with them), and try it on the Gaming X. I just did not bother with it as I wanted the RX580 is natively supported and recommended by Apple.

AppleALC, check the OpenCore guide... I don't think it needed it.

As far as slow starts, what kind of drive is the macOS installed on? if it is on an NVMe and you also have SATA drives plugged in, check the motherboard manual regarding M2 slots sharing bandwidth with the SATA.

sulinehk

macOS
Mobo
Z490 Gaming X
CPU
i7-10700K
GPU
RX 5700 XT
sulinehk,
You can try iMac20.1 SMBIOS. I don't know if it would make a difference performance wise. I want to try it myself when I have time. ;)
When I did this motherboard, all my research showed (from other hackintosher's) that no one had success with getting iGPU working at the time. You could check for similarities of the iGPU for the Vision D or other Z490 Gigabyte boards (if it's working with them), and try it on the Gaming X. I just did not bother with it as I wanted the RX580 is natively supported and recommended by Apple.
AppleALC, check the OpenCore guide... I don't think it needed it.
As far as slow starts, what kind of drive is the macOS installed on? if it is on an NVMe and you also have SATA drives plugged in, check the motherboard manual regarding M2 slots sharing bandwidth with the SATA.
Thanks for you answer, you're a gentleman.

Railgun

macOS
Mobo
GigaByte Z490 Gaming X
CPU
i7 10700
GPU
Sapphire RX580
Here is more info on the SMBIOS... I used iMac 19,1 which is what was known to work without issue when installing Catalina (and Big Sur).

While the iMac 20,1 is not listed in Clover Configurator (latest version), it is in the OpenCore Configurator app: https://mackie100projects.altervista.org/download-opencore-configurator/
You can get board spec's and numbers using that if you want to change or build an EFI for 20,1.

Real Apple Harware:
iMac 19,1 - iMac 27" Retina 5K i9 9900k CPU @3.6GHz
iMac 19,2 - iMac 21.5 Retina 4K i7 8700 CPU @3.2GHz
iMac 20,1 - iMac 27" Retina 5K i5 10500 CPU @3.10GHz

I know on other forums people building the Vision D are using the 20,1 but they have an i5 10500k CPU. I do not think it matters for hackintosh until Apple drops support of older hardware with each new OS.

About this Mac will show your proper CPU.

Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 7.29.26 PM.png

As an addition to the discussion, there are command line tools which I use that I did not cover in the guide (as I wanted to keep things simple) but maybe helpful if anyone wants to dabble in them.

ProperTree : https://github.com/corpnewt/ProperTree - for editing config.plist
gibMacOS: https://github.com/corpnewt/gibMacOS - for downloading Apple OS's
GenSMBIOS: https://github.com/corpnewt/GenSMBIOS - Generate SMBIOS (I did not use)
MountEFI: https://github.com/corpnewt/MountEFI - mounts EFI partitions (sometimes did not work correctly)

Last edited: