macOS
Mobo
Asus Maximus X Hero WiFi(AC)
CPU
Intel i7 9700k
GPU
RX 580
Hey there,

I've made a series of Hacks during the last years with the help of this amazing community. Some months ago I builded my own Main build and I am really loving it so far. I thought that it may be useful to post the details here. It is not perfect yet so any help solving its current issues will be highly appreciated.

Parts:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-9700k
RAM: G.Skill DIMM 32 GB DDR4-3000 Quad-Kit,
NVMe: Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB, Solid State Drive
GPU: XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS XXX Edition,
MoBo: Asus Maximus X Hero (Wifi)
Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H55, Water Cooling
PSU: Corsair RM750X (2018) 750W, PSU
Case: NZXT S340 Elite
HDD: WD WD20EZRZ 2 TB, HD
Wifi Card: Broadcom bcm94352z DW1560 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac WLAN + Bluetooth 4.0 m.2 NGFF Mini Card 867 Mbit/s
FireWire Card: Syba PCI-Express-Karte (2 Ports 1394B und1 Port 1394A, PCIe x1, Low-Profile-Slot

c24f3afa-d225-4ae3-a643-22dc31e6c854.jpg

What is working:

Almost everything included iMessages, AirDrop, Continuity, 3 displays (2 x 4K, 1 x 1080) on the RX580 and fully accelerated UHD 630.

9393129c-ff83-4ab4-978a-bc2381de3698.jpg

What is not working:

Sound: Did not spent to much time for that as I have an external audio interface with FireWire
UHD 630 iGPU

9971e046-bdc5-4839-a767-f9b82e8da115.jpg

Bugs:

There are 3 issues at the moment and all of them are related with the UHD 630.

Issue 1: When the machine boots some times restarts at the 75% of the loading bar. Even in this case the second time it boots works fine. (I think it is related with the IGPU)

It seems fixed after the right framebuffer patch was applied and the -disablegfxfirmware was removed. I am not sure yet though. I know that there are some rebooting issues caused by the XFX RX 580. The machine still reboots on boot but this time at the beginning of the boot loader. I have to force shut down and boot it again. Then it works like a charm.

Issue 2: Preview, QuickTime Screen Recording and very rare graphical glitches. All of them are based on the UHD 630. The IGPU is enabled in BIOS with 125M allocation. The Hack sees the IGPU but with 0MB. Metal is supported. I spend some time to solve this issue with no success. In the end I fixed the preview issue by using the NoVPA.kext. The rest remain the same.

Update: This issue was resolved. The problem was that I was being too lazy to check carefully the guides for Hackintool and WhateverGreen. I had to create the right framebuffer patch and paste it (as plain text) in my config plist. After that everything works. [This solution is not ideal for final cut X users as it will deactivate "sharing in some formats (like the 1080p m4v)" In case you need a perfectly working FPX the only was is to try a headless configuration]

Issue 3: I am not sure about how big of an issue is this but Hackintool and the Log of the Verbose mode reads the eGPU as a wrong model.

Screenshot 2019-04-04 at 17.00.11.png

I leave my Clover folder here too.

Attachments

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
2 x Powercolor RX 580 8GB
I have attached a revised CLOVER folder for you to try. I have made a number of changes, adding and removing some kexts, drivers and an SSDT.

I have changed your config.plist so it better suits your system.

Attachments

Koolis

macOS
Mobo
CPU
Intel i7 9700k
GPU
RX 580
Hey Edhawk. Thank you so much for revisiting my clover, it looks way more elegant now. I tried it tonight but the machine freezes at the beginning of the boot loader in the apple logo. I tried Verbose and it seems that the problem is the SSDT. For now I restored my system to the previous version and I am gonna take a deeper look into your changes.

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
2 x Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Can you post an image of the point where it stops in verbose mode. So I can see what is happening.

The only SSDT in your /CLOVER/ACPI/Patched folder is the SSDT-XOSI.aml. That won't cause a kernel panic, as it only informs the system which version of windows to emulate when booting macOS.

If you remove the SSDT then you need to also disable the DSDT rename patch in the revised config.plist. It will be the first rename patch on the ACPI tab. The SSDT and the patch are a pair and one won't work without the other.

Koolis

macOS
Mobo
CPU
Intel i7 9700k
GPU
RX 580
I was able to find a solution by carefully following the guide for the FB-Patcher (Hackintool) and WhateverGreen. Now I have fully accelerated UHD 630 with preview and QT fully working. :) I took some of your nice ideas to fix my clover folder and I removed the -disablegfxfirmware that seemed to be a possible cause of the startup boot loops. I cleaned my kexts too but I kept all the FakeSMS_Sensors kexts as I am using iStat. I would be super glad if you have any alternatives for that as it seems that it is not the most elegant solution.

In the end removing the -disablegfxfirmware did not solve the boot looping issue but it change its nature. Now the machine botloops at the beginning of the loading bar. Usually I have to force turn off the machine and then turn it back on. Then it works like a charm.

I updated the clover folder in the original post.

Last edited:

Latest posts