Vpnmaniac

macOS
Mobo
MSI Z390 pro
CPU
i7 9700
GPU
Nvidia Geforce 2060
I just wanted to update everyone here that I managed to build a hackintosh without much issues using a MSI Z390 board.

I had originally bought my PC for gaming and had planned to migrate away from my imac (it doesn't update to Mojave anymore - mid 2011 version).

However, it really appealed me, the idea I could have the best of both words.

So now, I have Windows and Mac both in one PC. Mac for ALL MY WORK and Windows for gaming and anything mac can't run. Unfortunately, I can do video rendering on the mac so will have to use windows for the time being. If it gets a buring problem, I will get a AMD supported card.

The build:

Power supply:

Cooler Master MasterWatt 650 Watt Hybrid Modular ATX PSU/Power Supply
Buy from Scan - 650W Cooler Master MasterWatt 650, Hybrid Modular, 80 PLUS Bronze, SLI/CrossFire, Single Rail, 54.1A, 120mm Fan, ATX PSU

Hard disk - M2 drive to boot windows and mac:

WD Black 500GB M.2 3D V2 PCIe NVMe High Performance SSD/Solid State Drive
Buy from Scan - 500GB WD Black v2, 3D M.2 (2280) PCIe 3.0 (x4) NVMe SSD, 3D NAND, 3400MB/s Read, 2500MB/s Write, 410k/330k IOPS

Data dump non SSD HDD:

Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM008 Desktop SATA III Hard Drive
Buy from Scan - 2TB Seagate ST2000DM008 BarraCuda, 3.5" HDD, SATA III - 6Gb/s, 7200rpm, 256MB Cache, NCQ, OEM

CPU:

Intel Core i7 9700K Unlocked 9th Gen Desktop Processor/CPU Retail
Buy from Scan - Intel Core i7 9700K, S 1151, Coffee Lake Refresh, 8 Core, 8 Thread, 3.6GHz, 4.9GHz Turbo, 12MB, 1200MHz GPU, 95W, Box

Motherboard:

MSI Intel Z390-A PRO 9th Gen ATX Motherboard
Buy from Scan - MSI Z390-A PRO, Intel Z390, S 1151, DDR4, SATA3, M.2, 2-Way CrossFire, Intel GbE, USB 3.1 Gen2 A+C, ATX

Graphics card: (THIS DOESN'T WORK AT THE MOMENT)

EVGA NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6GB XC BLACK GAMING Turing Graphics Card
Buy from Scan - EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 XC BLACK GAMING 6GB GDDR6 Ray-Tracing Graphics Card, 1920 Core, 1365MHz GPU, 1680MHz Boost

RAM - 32 GB:

Corsair 32GB Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400MHz RAM/Memory Kit 2x 16GB
Buy from Scan - 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX Black, PC4-19200 (2400), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 16-16-16-39, XMP 2.0, 1.2V

Had I built my system intending to create a Hackintosh, I would have gone out and bought hardware tried and tested. I couldn't find much about MSI390, there was MSI370 so I followed that guide I found here for motherboard settings:

https://hackintosher.com/builds/guide-hackintoshing-msi-z370-pro/

Just remember: DON'T change Integrated graphics in Setup from PEG (Graphics card) to IDG (integrated graphics).

Right now my integrated graphics run fine and feed via the unsupported graphics card.

^^ If you don't do as the above step, you will notice installer would keep rebooting. Or an installed Hackintosh would keep reloading when the apple logo is done processing.

For a video guide, I used this guy's video and his EFI file in his video link as it is:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdRSYogDygs

His EFI file link: https://goo.gl/PzqFKr

Last but not least, I had Windows 10 already installed on my M2 drive and so I used the guide on this forum to first expand the EFI file system to 200 MB using the tool explained in this guide:

https://hackintosher.com/guides/dual-boot-macos-drive-windows-10-already-installed-shared-drive/

I then followed the video guide shared above and placed the EFI file in the EFI folder on the USB. Remember, if clover configurator can't see an EFI partition (guy doesn't explain in his video and people in comments are wondering), you can create a time machine backup and use your USB drive for it. Start the backup, pause it after it has started and take your USB out and rerun the process of dumping mac OS on the USB again. You will now have a separate EFI partition in your USB. If this still doesn't work, than please find a way to create a EFI partition on your USB.

Anyway, Once the USB was ready with the EFI partition copied with the file provided from the youtube guy, I carried on and dumped the USB onto the system and it was all seamless from there apart from the problems I encountered which I have explained above with fixes.

The System sees 22mb of Graphics and I have confirmed while trying to run VMs that it detects all 8 cores in CPU.

Also, once you boot up, Network didn't work but audio worked.

For network just use the standard intel1000 something kext you will find. Use a tool to install the kext into library/extensions (don't just copy it there) and you network would work too.

For graphics card I have seen RX580 gets detected without any issues so If I really want, I would either get that or a new graphics card that is supported, though I have no need for that at the moment as hackintosh works fine without any issues. Smooth as expected. Also, I have 3440x1440 34inch wide screen which worked fine as well no issues.

I usually don't write posts and only really created a username to just download files but in the end I wanted to thank the community and share my story so it might help others in the quest who have bought unsupported hardware and would now like to build.

Thanks to everyone in this forum with their help :)

haatjes

macOS
Mobo
MSI Z390A Pro
CPU
i5 9600K
GPU
Nvidia GTX 1070
Hey my friend I have the same mobo and also tried to install but after I boot clover and press tbe installer in clover the apple logo loads half of the bar and than slowly to the end and then nothing happens. I also followed youre tutorial and video but without succes.

Regards

Attachments

Vpnmaniac

macOS
Mobo
MSI Z390 pro
CPU
i7 9700
GPU
Nvidia Geforce 2060
Hey my friend I have the same mobo and also tried to install but after I boot clover and press tbe installer in clover the apple logo loads half of the bar and than slowly to the end and then nothing happens. I also followed youre tutorial and video but without succes.

Regards
Hi mate,

Did you try to fiddle with the graphics settings?

Also, you can pass the Verbose setting in Clover and you will be able to see the logs instead of Apple logo. Make a video of those logs and than take a screenshot of where it gets stuck at and what the error is. Share it here for people to comment and search that error over the internet and you hopefully will find success.

haatjes

macOS
Mobo
MSI Z390A Pro
CPU
i5 9600K
GPU
Nvidia GTX 1070
Hi mate,

Did you try to fiddle with the graphics settings?

Also, you can pass the Verbose setting in Clover and you will be able to see the logs instead of Apple logo. Make a video of those logs and than take a screenshot of where it gets stuck at and what the error is. Share it here for people to comment and search that error over the internet and you hopefully will find success.
Well my mate this is what I get I dont see any error maybe you could see it.

Attachments

Vpnmaniac

macOS
Mobo
MSI Z390 pro
CPU
i7 9700
GPU
Nvidia Geforce 2060
Well my mate this is what I get I dont see any error maybe you could see it.
Neither can I.

It's best to try and play with Motherboard settings and see if you get a breakthrough. Also, sharing this image with your problem detail (if you haven't already done so) along with your hardware in a separate new thread can help people with more knowledge guide you.

Good luck.

haatjes

macOS
Mobo
MSI Z390A Pro
CPU
i5 9600K
GPU
Nvidia GTX 1070
bro just send me youre EFI file from ure bootable usb

Vpnmaniac

macOS
Mobo
MSI Z390 pro
CPU
i7 9700
GPU
Nvidia Geforce 2060
bro just send me youre EFI file from ure bootable usb
It's this one: https://goo.gl/PzqFKr

I just copied and pasted. All you want to do is download another file from the other guide for M370Z with a specific file mentioned in the guide and it worked stock for me both times, once I installed with that file, once I tried with the stock EFI file.

Kavallo

macOS
Mobo
MSI Z390-A Pro
CPU
i5 9600k
GPU
RX 580
It's this one: https://goo.gl/PzqFKr

I just copied and pasted. All you want to do is download another file from the other guide for M370Z with a specific file mentioned in the guide and it worked stock for me both times, once I installed with that file, once I tried with the stock EFI file.
Hey i have the same problem as haatjes but i dont know if you solved it,can you help me,im stuck