System always says "You shut down your computer because of a problem" when I boot.

MW9

Mobo
Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A
CPU
i5-4460
GPU
HD 4600 / Nvidia Quadro K600
I'm working on a new hackintosh, a Dell 3250 with a I3-6100 I got for free, minus the hard drive. I had the SSD from my other system that still had Mojave on it (I upgraded to a bigger drive). I created a fresh EFI folder with the appropriate kexts and drivers and a reworked config.plist file.

After fighting for 2 days to get it to boot with the Intel graphics and failing, I installed an Nvidia Quadro K600 I had collecting dust, tweaked the config.plist, and it booted right up.

Problem is, everytime I start the machine, I get as the thread title says, then it generates a problem report. It even did that on the first successful boot with the Nvidia card.

Once I get past that, everything runs just fine, everything works and is as stable as can be.

I have spent another 2 days looking online and trying things, but nothing is working. The Panic report references Intel and Frame Buffers. I have no idea how to properly interpret what I'm looking at to research a solution.

One thing I did notice is that further into the report, it states the System model name as 14,2. That was the system the SSD originally came from. However in About This Mac, it shows this system as a Late 2015 iMac.

I have attached a copy of the Problem Report. If anybody has any insight, it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Have you tried disabling the Intel GPU in the Bios? See if that stops the problem report being generated.

Alternatively you need to set up a headless (empty) framebuffer for the Intel iGPU. With your Skylake CPU/IGPU that would be AAPL,ig-platform-id: 01001219

Add this to the Devices Properties section of your config.plist. It would look like this in Clover configurator:

Screenshot 2021-04-14 at 23.43.30.png

Close up of Properties section:

Screenshot 2021-04-14 at 23.43.38.png

Also of these boot arguments most are not required, only the dart=0 is required:

Screenshot 2021-04-14 at 23.41.21.png

Remove the others boot arguments, they will cause more problems than they solve.

MW9

Mobo
Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A
CPU
i5-4460
GPU
Hi Ed,

Yes I did have the Intel GPU disabled in the bios, and I did have the AApl,ig-platform-id already set. However, I also had framebuffer-patch-enable and framebuffer-stolenmem in the Properties section.

I deleted those and the problem went away.

As for the boot arguments, I really don't know how to do that. I need to do some research on that...

Thanks for the help.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
You are welcome.

MW9

Mobo
Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A
CPU
i5-4460
GPU
My problem came back after another restart. Going through everything again, I saw that I had change GFXO to IGPU in the Acpi patch section. I removed it and the problem cleared up, briefly, then the issue came back.

I've toggled FixShutdown on and off in the Acpi section. On or off, it doesn't seem to matter. In the Graphics section I've toggled between InjectNVidia and NvidiaGeneric, nothing helps.

As for boot arguments, I still don't know how to remove them. There is nothing in Clover to turn them on and off. I opened the conflig.plist with the text editor, in the boot section I can't see the arguments that come up in the Problem Report. I don't know how to remove them. Googling how to do it, oddly, hasn't been helpful. I found plenty of other info about boot argumnents, but nothing clear on how to remove them, especially when I can't find them, except for when the Problem Report says that they are there.

I added -shikioff in the Boot section, that didn't help. I'm not even sure if it would.

I was curious why the Problem Report showed my system as an 14,2. That was the system in my signature that the SSD came from when I upgraded to a bigger drive. In the Apple folder in EFI, the .epm and .smc files were showing the board ID from the aforementioned system. The firmware .rd file was also showing the old system.

I did a complete fresh reinstall of Mojave and Clover. All the files are now correct. But the Problem Report, which I still get, still shows 14,2.

I'm at a complete loss. I have lost track of what I have done so far troubleshooting. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Post a copy of your whole CLOVER folder so I can have a look at what you are using. From the image above it is clear you have a number of 'commented Out' entries that need to be cleaned up, i.e. anything with # at the start of the line of text.

I would recommend you use a designated Plist editor not a text editor when reviewing or editing a config.plist. Clover Configurator is probably the easiest to use. ProperTree is also fairly simple to use, but isn't specifically designed for Clover.

Make sure you include a copy of your systems ACPI tables.
  1. 1The ACPI Tables can be obtained by pressing the 'F4' key while on the Clover Boot Screen.
  2. The tables are saved in the background, with no evidence that anything is happening.
  3. So just leave the system for around 30 seconds before doing anything such as booting the system.
  4. The ACPI tables will be written to the /CLOVER/ACPI/origin folder on the USB or your macOS drive, whichever you are using to boot the system.
  5. Provide a compressed copy of your /CLOVER/ACPI/origin folder.

Some of the issues you describe may be NVRAM related and you may need to clear the NVRAM to resolve these issues.

To do this when booting with Clover you need to press the F11 key when you are on the Clover Boot Screen, with the macOS Mojave drive highlighted. Reboot the system, if it doesn't do it automatically and the NVRAM should be clear and your system should only use the settings in your CLOVER folder, not any old settings that were stuck in the NVRAM.

MW9

Mobo
Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A
CPU
i5-4460
GPU
Hi Ed,

I cleared the NVRAM as you instructed with the F11 key. I have since done 5 consecutive restarts, and no problems. I had originally cleared it with the terminal command $ sudo nvram -c while booted. I did the TestVar=HelloWorld, and everything seemed to be working... But the problem had persisted.

Does Clover use its own NVRAM, or does it have it's own section seperate from MACOS that wouldn't get cleared with the terminal command?

I had only viewed the conflig.plist file with the text editor. I made no changes while looking at it. Any changes I made were done in Clover.

It seems the problem has been fixed for good this time. I uploaded the ACPI origin folder you requested just the same in case you want to look at it. I compressed the EFI folder, but oddly the site says it is to big to upload, it's only 24.4 MB... I have seen other members upload compressed EFI folders.

Thanks I really appreciate you taking the time to help. I actually learned a couple of things today.

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
No Clover and macOS use the same NVRAM. However, macOS may not always completely clear the NVRAM with the Terminal command, depending on which OS you are running. Catalina and Big Sur have changed the way system processes are accessed and require you to boot in to Single User or Recovery mode in order to make system changes.

Just post the CLOVER folder, no need to include the BOOT or Apple folders, the Apple Folder is usually the one that takes the EFI Folder over the site upload limit. It doesn't contain anything that we need to worry about, as the folder is only used for Apple updates, not general booting of the system.

I will have a look at the Origin and CLOVER folder when you have it uploaded to a post here.

MW9

Mobo
Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A
CPU
i5-4460
GPU
Here is the Clover folder. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
I'll have a look at these folders and get back to you tomorrow (Sunday).

Latest posts