"This Device cannot be transferred error", due to Serial Number?

pixyy

macOS
Mobo
ASRock Z370M-ITX/ac
CPU
i5-8400
GPU
UHD630
Hi,
I'm happily using my hackintosh, however in my iTunes library, I am not able to download music. I am logged in with my Apple ID, it syncs my library, but when I try to download I get this error:
1574018719778.png

I can see some Mac users suggest contacting Apple support, but that would be a bit hard to do for me, for obvious reasons.
BTW the serial number I use (autogenerated from Clover) gets returned as an invalid serial from Apple...
Is there a way I can fix this?
Thanks!

1574018588917.png

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
2 x Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Your Clover Configurator generated Serial number is supposed to be invalid when you run the Apple Support check. That means it is not being used by a real Mac, so it won't conflict with anyone else's system or the records on Apple's servers.

It sounds like you could have more than one Apple ID and that you are trying to activate iTunes on this system for the second time, when it is already activated with the other ID.

pixyy

macOS
Mobo
ASRock Z370M-ITX/ac
CPU
i5-8400
GPU
UHD630
Thanks for clarifying the Serial Number context.
I've only ever had one Apple ID and the machine is authorized to this ID.
I'm signed in with my apple ID, can see my Apple music (family) subscription and the local library of music saved on the machine.
The error only pops up when I try to download music from Apple Music.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Have you tried De-Activating your Hack from within iTunes and after a reboot re-Activating the iTunes.

Do you know if when you created your config.plist if the following happened:
  1. Serial Number was checked with EveryMac, to see if the number is from the correct series of iMac or mac mini for the SMBIOS you are using?
  2. Serial Number was checked with Apple Support, to make sure it is not already being used by a real Mac?
  3. Serial Board Number was used to populate the MLB option.
You can do all of this in Clover Configurator, on the SMBIOS tab and the MLB option is located on the RtVariables tab.

If these are not correct and have not been checked then your Apple ID may not work correctly with iTunes, iMessage, iCloud etc.

pixyy

macOS
Mobo
ASRock Z370M-ITX/ac
CPU
i5-8400
GPU
UHD630
1. serial number checked with Everymac. OK
2. Serial Number Checked with Apple support. OK
3. The Board Serial Number was not used to populate the MLB option. I pasted it in and saved the plist.

Then I logged out of iTunes and deauthorized the Hackintosh. Rebooted, logged in, re-authorized.

Same error pops up when attempt to download a track/album (though now with 89 day time period)...

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Can you do the following:
  1. Open iTunes and navigate to the "iTunes store" tab.
  2. Then click on "account."
  3. Log in and click on "Manage Devices."
  4. See if your iMac/Hack is listed in the Manage Devices.
If it isn't listed - this will be the reason for the 89 day message.

Screenshot 2019-11-22 at 22.21.49.png Here is the blurb from iTunes regarding Managed Devices:

There are two ways to fix this.

1. Contact iTunes Support and get them to remove the block for this device. They will need you to verifiy you are who you say you are, using the information you provided when creating your Apple ID account. Not ideal as we are talking about a Hack not a real Mac.

2. Wait the 89 days.

Unfortunately, it reset the 90 day counter when you deauthorised and reauthorised the system.

pixyy

macOS
Mobo
ASRock Z370M-ITX/ac
CPU
i5-8400
GPU
UHD630
Thanks.
The Hack is not listed. I may just wait the 3 months, though it just seems so trivial.
Would Apple Support ask for a Serial Number and verify that it is not an authorized Serial?

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Don't think they would, if you contacted the iTunes support by phone. I had an Apple Support member reset the devices connected to my Apple ID once before, many years ago. I can't remember if this was an online conversation/chat or on the phone. Tell them it is also causing issues on your iPhone or iPad and they are more likely to reset the account devices. As it is not just one device being impacted.

The Support member reset/removed all the devices connected to my Apple ID account. I could then connected to my main Hack. I also had to reconnect my iPhone, iPad and other hack's so they would continue using the ID/iTunes etc.

pixyy

macOS
Mobo
ASRock Z370M-ITX/ac
CPU
i5-8400
GPU
UHD630
I finally got myself to contact Apple support.
Took a looong time before I got to someone who actually understood the problem (too many junior technicians going through their checklists), but finally got them to reset the devices on my accounts and the error message disappeared.
Thanks for all the help :)