ThunderboltEX-3 - macOS Catalina 10.15.4 (19E266)

macOS
Mobo
Asus PRIME Z390-A
CPU
i7-9700 CPU @ 3.00GHz
GPU
Radeon RX 570 Series 8GB
Hi Gang,
under Win10 I have a working Asus ThunderboltEX-3 (MB: Asus PRIME Z390-A), using latest ASUS driver (even if a fix from ASUS website is not working, probably too old for my card).

ThunderboltEX-3

Problem: under macOS 10.15.4 System Report is indicating: Thunderbolt > Thunderbolt: No drivers are loaded.
I can use USB-C connector of ThunderboltEX-3, they work fine with USB3 SSD, iPhone...

I'm attaching my EFI folder, looking for help to set up correctly my build.

Thanks.
mark

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Post a copy of your IOReg, so we can see how the TB3 card is showing under macOS.

Confirm in which slot on the motherboard the TB3 card is installed.

Use version 2.1 of IORegistryExplorer to save a copy of your IOReg. Do not give it a different name than the one proposed by the application. You are likely to mess it up if you do. the IOReg file will not have a file type, i.e. txt .doc etc. That is fine, leave it that way.

Here is a link to download the IOReg application - https://github.com/toleda/audio_ALCInjection/blob/master/IORegistryExplorer_v2.1.zip (select View Raw, double click, and the app download should commence)

It is likely that you will need an SSDT to assist macOS with your TB3 card. That is the case with the Gigabyte Alpine and Titan Ridge TB cards.

macOS
Mobo
Asus PRIME Z390-A
CPU
i7-9700 CPU @ 3.00GHz
GPU
Radeon RX 570 Series 8GB
Thank you Edhawk!
I'm enclosing requested info, plus some additional stuff that I hope could help you.

Other weirdness is how macOS System Information is identifying processor.
Model Name: Mac mini / Model Identifier: Macmini8,1
Processor Name: 8-Core Intel Core i9 (in reality it's a i7-9700 CPU @ 3.00GHz)

Best,
mark

p.s. made donation ;)

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
I have the downloaded files and will have a look at what is happening with your TB3 card shortly.

Personally I don't think you should be using the Mac mini 8.1 SMBIOS with your system. I think a better fit would be the iMac 19.1 SMBIOS, which uses a i5-9600K CPU, which is a closer match than the i7-8700B CPU the MacMini is expecting to find.

Thanks for the donation, always appreciated.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Ok, I have gone through the images and files you provided and would comment as follows:

I am using KGP's guide over at Tonymacx86, in his X299 Motherboard guide as a base for these observations. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ojave-successful-build-extended-guide.255082/

Specifically these sections:
E.7) GC-Titan Ridge / GC-Alpine Ridge or ASUS TBEX 3 Add-in PCIe Adapter Implementation

E.9.2.13) - GC-Titan Ridge / GC-Alpine Ridge / ASUS TBEX 3 Thunderbolt HotPlug System Implementation

BIOS:
I don't think your Thunderbolt Bios Settings are correct. In that they do not match the settings shown in the post by KGP. This seems to be the only place where the TB Bios settings are displayed.

TB3 settings, screenshot taken from KGP's guide.
Screenshot 2020-03-27 at 17.52.55.png

In image 01_img_5250.jpg
01_IMG_5250.jpeg Check the two entries highlighted.
  • Wake from Thunderbolt Devices - should be OFF (I'm not sure if on or off is selected)
  • Security Level - should be No Security
In image 03_img_5252.jpg
03_IMG_5252.jpeg Check these three entries.
  • GPIO3 For Pwr - should be ON (I'm not sure if on or off is selected)
  • GPIO filter - should be Enabled
  • Enable CLK REQ -should be Disabled
In image 04_img_5253.jpg
04_IMG_5253.jpeg I am not sure about these memory settings, or even if you can change them. But they are different to those shown in KGP's table. These may not be wrong.

IOReg:
Your Thunderbolt card is showing in the IOReg, as are the USB ports associated with the TB card.

Screenshot 2020-03-27 at 18.16.03.png Asus TBEX 3 card in IOREg

The TB3 card is located at _SB/PCI0@0/RP17, but looking at the image provided by KGP in his Hot-plug guide parts of the TB system are not showing.

Screenshot 2020-03-27 at 18.36.02.png KGP's TB3 IOReg screenshot.
KGP states that when inspecting the IOReg results, UPSB, DSB0, NHI0, DSB1, DSB2, XHC5 and DSB4 must be always part of the APCI table.

This is not the case with your setup. In fact none of these sections appear in your IOReg.

Window Dual Boot -UEFI:
I believe the difference between the two IOReg images relates to how you installed Windows and activated the TB card under Windows.

Question: Did you install Windows in UEFI mode?

KGP seems to make a big deal about this and I can only assume there is a good reason he does. If you have a normal Windows install then the answer is no you don't have a UEFI Windows installation.

For you to have a UEFI Windows installation, you would have to have used Rufus (USB creation tool) to create the UEFI Windows installer.

Here is a link to a guide recommended by KGP, showing how to create a UEFI Windows installer - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2376-create-bootable-usb-flash-drive-install-windows-10-a.html

Here is the link provided by KGP, for a Clean installation of Windows - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-clean-install-windows-10-a.html

It is imperative that you disconnect your macOS Drive when undertaking the Windows installation. Do not reconnect it until you have completed the Windows installation.

You should only install the TB card after you have installed UEFI Windows, you will then need to install the drivers for your TB card, including upgrading the TB card's firmware if necessary.

Having the UEFI dual boot system and installing the TB card in Windows seems to deal with a number of issues that can not be dealt with under macOS.

If you can work your way though this, provide the information I requested we can move onwards. You need to think about whether you want to install UEFI Windows on a new drive or on your existing Windows drive.

macOS
Mobo
Asus PRIME Z390-A
CPU
i7-9700 CPU @ 3.00GHz
GPU
Radeon RX 570 Series 8GB
I did tweaks suggested on TB Bios settings.
01_IMG_5256.jpeg

02_IMG_5257.jpeg

03_IMG_5258B.jpg

Nothing changed from macOS side (Thunderbolt:No drivers are loaded.)

1) So I went back to Win10 to check is something changed (Win10 resides on a separate SSD and I boot from using F8 at power-on, pretty sure is a UEFI install, on Bios the SSD it's named as "Windows Boot Manager").

2) From Win10 side (with suggested Bios settings) I had problems with a "double" Thunderbolt device listed on Device Manager, (one Thunderbolt was displayed with Forbidden sign on it). TB software was not launching.

3) So I've uninstalled all Asus TB Win10-drivers and went back to TB Bios settings.

4) In Bios: Thunderbolt Config\Discrete TB Config\DTBT Controller 0 Config
I've changed: Extra Bus Reserved to Two Port (as my original setting).
Please note: Changing from One port to Two port automatically it switches the numerical values of Reserved memory listed below (as in KGP tutorial, those are for One Port settings).

5) Saved Bios settings and restarted with F8, and... back in Win10.

6) In Win10 I've reinstalled Asus driver for ThunderboltEX-3, now all seems more "normal" see screenshot.

Win10 Device Manager.PNG

I did some PCI devices scan with windows app and ThunderboltEX-3 is listed. Couple of reports are attached here.

7) Sad note: back in macOS, (booting from Clover as usual), nothing has changed. Stuck with Thunderbolt:No drivers are loaded.

My random noobie-notes:
KGP excellent tutorial seems to be based on different motherboards then my Prime Z390-A (i.e when suggesting in which slot install the TB card)
I've not found any hackintosh-kext to drive this card, meaning will be driven by Apple kexts only?

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
You can tell if your Windows is UEFI by the number of partitions created on the SSD.

With a standard/legacy installation of Windows there will only be two partitions -
  1. System partition (500MB) &
  2. Primary/Main Window's partition, taking up the rest of the drives space.

With a UEFI Windows installation there will be four partitions:
  1. Recovery (450MB),
  2. MSR (Reserved) (16MB),
  3. System (100MB) &
  4. Primary/Main partition taking up rest of the drives space.
OK, I understand about the single port and double port settings now, and how this reflects on the memory allocations.

Your system contains the following drives:
  • Western Digital 3 TB drive GUID partition scheme with EFI and Untitled partitions (assumed to be HFS+ data drive)
  • Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB, GUID/APFS partition scheme with EFI, Clone-Data, Clone, Preboot, Recovery, VM and Untitled partitions.
  • Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB, IOFDiskPartitionScheme, Untitled 1 and Untitled 2 partitions.
The Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB drive is I assume your Windows drive. This is a Legacy installation not UEFI.

IOReg shows the same settings for the Thunderbolt card, i.e no change.

The USB ports connected to the TB card are not showing as I would expect either, not as they would on the Alpine Ridge and Titan Ridge setups I have worked on. They usually show up on an XHC5 USB controller. Yours are just showing under the Intel Vendor/Device ID name.

Intel GPU:
You seem to have disabled your Intel GPU, can I ask why?
Having both the Intel and discrete GPU would be a better match to a real Mac (an iMac 19.1), although I suppose not the Macmini 8.1 SMBIOS you have been using, That system would only have the Intel GPU available.

Still I would recommend you look at enabling the Intel GPU in your bios and changing the SMBIOS to an iMac 19.1.

Bios settings for Discrete and Intel GPU is as follows:
  1. 1Integrated Graphics : Enabled
  2. Graphics: PEG/PCIe Slot 1
  3. Initial Display Output : PCIe 1 Slot
  4. DVMT Pre-Allocated : 128M or higher
USB:
I had a look further down the IOReg and while your USB port limit patch is working, i.e. all 26 USB ports are showing under the XHC controller. This is not a good way to continue.

Not wanting to muddy the waters but I think you should temporarily remove the TB card and set about creating a custom SSDT-UIAC.aml or USBPorts.kext for your system.

Here is a guide by UtterDisbelief over at Tonymacx86 - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/the-new-beginners-guide-to-usb-port-configuration.286553/

macOS
Mobo
Asus PRIME Z390-A
CPU
i7-9700 CPU @ 3.00GHz
GPU
Radeon RX 570 Series 8GB
Well,
after removing ThunderboltEX-3 & painfully two NVMe, plus unplugging al SSD, I've been finally able to install damn UEFI Win10 (to comply with KGP tutorial).
Then:
Updated all Win10 patches etc.
Installed ThunderboltEX-3 driver
Reinstalled board
And... like I was suspecting, nothing changed compared to my previous NON UEFI Win10 install.
PCI scan from Win was the same as non UEFI, and macOS was still with No drivers loaded.
(if someone can explain the above to me I'll be very grateful and less depressed).

Capture Win10 UEFI.PNG

Unplugged ThunderboltEX-3
Replugged all SSD and NVME and booted back in macOS.

(After 4 hours for the above) Now moving on with the USBPorts.kext for my system.
Launched Hackintool and sorted out the Name of front and rear USB Ports.
Will I ever be capable of doing that?

Screenshot 2020-03-28 at 19.31.31.jpg

(this Hackintosh is using the EFI from a tutorial here for Z390-A, config.plist was for a Mac Macmini 8.1... I'll try to fix SMBIOS to an iMac 19.1 too)

*headache*

-Thanks for your support Edhawk-

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Mark, my apologies I thought that installing Windows in UEFI and reinstalling the Thunderbolt card would lead to a Firmware update, which can only be dealt with in Windows.

Did you explicitly install the latest Thunderbolt drivers from a download/DVD/CD or did you let Windows deal with the driver installation? Saying that the TB Driver looks to be up to date.

Can I ask you to boot back in to your Windows drive, go to the Intel Thunderbolt support site and download and install/Run the latest firmware tool - https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboard-Accessories/ThunderboltEX-3/HelpDesk_Download/

When you land on the above page you need to expand the list to show the Firmware tool.

Your USB port detection looks a bit light, as only 12 ports are shown as being identified. Each USB 3 port would also have a USB2 side but if the configuration you have displayed on the jpeg works for you. Then go with it.

Saying that the IOReg you attached still shows all 26 ports under the XHC controller. Usually this is because the USB port limit patch is still active in your config.plist and overwriting the SSDT-UIAC.aml's settings.

macOS
Mobo
Asus PRIME Z390-A
CPU
i7-9700 CPU @ 3.00GHz
GPU
Radeon RX 570 Series 8GB
ThunderboltEX-3
I've downloaded updated driver for ThunderboltEX-3 from Asus website.

ThunderboltEX 3 firmware update tool
Version 1.0.0.15 2017/11/10 352.46 KBytes

I've already tried in non-UEFI era and in UEFI. It's not working, it's weird, it gives a File not found kinda error, in effect there is no .bin file in the download...

I've googled the topic "tbFirmware.bin" and seems a 2018 problem.
Looking in config file used by this updater you can find the lines:
<Chip srcFwName="chip1_Fw.dat" vid="8086" pid="1577" targetNVMVersion="18" />
<Chip srcFwName="chip2_Fw.dat" vid="8086" pid="15D2" targetNVMVersion="26" />

It seems to me that the mentioned "26 & 18" are the TB firmware version.
Under Win10 card is at NVMVersion 27. Possibly my card has latest firmware...

USB port detection
You are right, I've uploaded an inexperienced jpg about my HS and SS USB ports :cautious:
I didn't understood that a USB3 reading a USB2 device gets another port-naming/position.

USB3 port reading USB3media = SS..
USB3 port reading USB2media = HS..

USB2 port reading USB3media = HS..
USB2 port reading USB2media = HS..

Now...
Hoping I've correctly grabbed, but what's the game here?
When I'll delete the unused ports in Hackintool those set in kext will have limitations like:
"USB3 port cannot read USB2media" ? :unsure:

p.s. since this thread seems very 1-2-1, shouldn't we move it on a private level (please propose how) and publish just the results when solved?

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Mark, I have been looking for a description of what is necessary to activate the ASUS ThunderboltEX 3 card and found this guide over at Reddit.com - https://www.reddit.com/r/hackintosh/comments/8bulnl/asus_z370a_8700k_thunderboltex_3_igpu/

The important part is the bit where the post gives the instructions for the Windows set up of the TB card:
  1. install windows 10. don't waste time like me and try shit like WinToUSB or RUFUS, use microsoft's Media creation tool and boot from the UEFI partition of the USB to make the install a breeze)
  2. Once windows and your basic drivers are installed, install thunderbolt drivers from ASUS' website without the ThunderboltEX 3 card slotted in (very important)
  3. Download the firmware injector (don't run it yet)
  4. turn off computer
  5. install thunderbolt card in PCIeEX16_2 slot (you can probably use whichever, but you need to select the correct slot in bios setting) Plug in the thunderbolt header from the motherboard. and Asus suggests also plugging a Mini DP to DP cable from the card to your I/O's display port. (I did)
  6. Go into bios / advanced and enable thunderbolt (I didn’t have to change anything major for window but it’s important that you enable it for windows in the OS section, keep the PCI cache line at 32 and make sure you selected the correct PCIeX slot)
  7. boot into windows
  8. run the thunderbolt firmware updater. If that step succeed you're on your way if not, verify your bios settings or remove both the card and drivers and start again.
  9. When step 8 is a success, you can turn off the computer, remove the power cable for at least 30 seconds, and then boot into OSX.
  10. Install your thunderbolt device's drivers and reboot if you haven't already.
Can I ask you to try the above, you will probably need to do the following:
  • Remove the Thunderbolt drivers in Windows.
  • Shut down the system.
  • Disable the TB card in the Bios, temporarily.
  • Install the TB drivers in Windows without the TB card being installed.
  • Shut down the system and install the TB card with a mDP - DP cable connection to your RX 570 GPU.
  • Enable the TB card in the bios, with the settings as previously discussed in the posts above.
  • Reboot in to Windows and run the TB Firmware Updater.
To me it seems as though this last step is the important one, if that isn't successful then the TB card seems to not be recognised correctly in macOS.

If we get this part sorted, then we can look at editing the SSDT so you can use the hot-plug feature with the TB card ports.

macOS
Mobo
Asus PRIME Z390-A
CPU
i7-9700 CPU @ 3.00GHz
GPU
Radeon RX 570 Series 8GB
Thanks for the suggestion.
Did you noticed this picture in the Reddit thread? (No drivers are loaded meanwhile the audio interface in the screenshot was working/recognized).

BTW I've ordered TB2 to TB3 adapter to connect some TB2 devices to my ThunderboltEX-3; to avoid the "academic"...

sCBQuvs.png

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
No I hadn't noticed that there were no TB drivers loaded. WTF does that mean?

Could your TB card be working and we not realise that is the case?

Luka-S

macOS
Mobo
Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac
CPU
i7-8700
GPU
UHD 630
Thunderbolt will not show in System Report on Hackintosh. Mine shows as USB 3.1 bus
It will still work, if you want hot plug than you need custom SSDT. I have one for my Z370 board. Screenshot 2020-04-01 at 22.14.00.png