Trying to install macOS High Sierra - Freezing by the time desktop loads

Fureniku

Mobo
MSI X99 SLI Plus
CPU
Intel i7 5820k
GPU
GTX 1080
Initial problem is now fixed, but got a new problem further down. Didn't want to spam new threads and flood the forum. Original thread still here for context.

Hello everyone :)

As title says, I'm trying to install macOS High Sierra on my system, and I'm having some trouble.

Specs:
MoBo: MSI SLI X99 Plus
CPU: Intel i7 5820k
GPU: nVidia GTX1080

My initial thoughts are the graphics being part of the problem (although I realistically have no idea). I was trying to install Catalina at first but was told nothing above High Sierra will work with my card, so I'm now here.

I've been following this guide (https://hackintosher.com/guides/high-sierra-install-full-guide/). My mac is a VMware virtual machine running Catalina, if that's important at all.

What I've done so far:
Placed the EFI into the EFI partition (there was no EFI folder in there when I started, the guide said I should delete one. Is that a problem?)
In config.plist I set my SMBIOS to iMac 14,2
I put OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi in the ./drivers64UEFI folder, and removed AptioFix3Drv (it didn't have the Osx- prefix as the guide said, but other forums said this was the correct one to delete).
In the boot section, I added an argument setting darkwake to 8. There was no darkwake argument there by default (the guide suggested there should've been)
I didn't apply the USB patch, as I downloaded high sierra from app store so the guide suggests I don't need to do one.

After the guide, I've been booting with verbose mode. I was getting a "couldn't allocate runtime area" error initially, but fixed that by ticking "disable KASLR (slide=0).

The problem now:
I don't really know! The boot seems to just freeze in roughly the same area each time it tries, plus or minus one or two lines. The below image is about as far as it's gotten.

1590949529718.png

I've tried enabling Nvidia web drivers too, which doesn't seem to many any difference at all (although I suspect I need that for later in the process - considering my setup has no integrated graphics option?)

Any help would be really appreciated! I'm relatively tech-minded but this is my first time doing anything along these lines so please bare with me :)

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB

LautaroP18

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte H55 MS2
CPU
Intel Core i3 540
GPU
rx 570 4gb
Hello everyone :)

As title says, I'm trying to install macOS High Sierra on my system, and I'm having some trouble.

Specs:
MoBo: MSI SLI X99 Plus
CPU: Intel i7 5820k
GPU: nVidia GTX1080

My initial thoughts are the graphics being part of the problem (although I realistically have no idea). I was trying to install Catalina at first but was told nothing above High Sierra will work with my card, so I'm now here.

I've been following this guide (https://hackintosher.com/guides/high-sierra-install-full-guide/). My mac is a VMware virtual machine running Catalina, if that's important at all.

What I've done so far:
Placed the EFI into the EFI partition (there was no EFI folder in there when I started, the guide said I should delete one. Is that a problem?)
In config.plist I set my SMBIOS to iMac 14,2
I put OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi in the ./drivers64UEFI folder, and removed AptioFix3Drv (it didn't have the Osx- prefix as the guide said, but other forums said this was the correct one to delete).
In the boot section, I added an argument setting darkwake to 8. There was no darkwake argument there by default (the guide suggested there should've been)
I didn't apply the USB patch, as I downloaded high sierra from app store so the guide suggests I don't need to do one.

After the guide, I've been booting with verbose mode. I was getting a "couldn't allocate runtime area" error initially, but fixed that by ticking "disable KASLR (slide=0).

The problem now:
Realmente no lo se! El arranque parece congelarse aproximadamente en la misma área cada vez que lo intenta, más o menos una o dos líneas. La imagen de abajo es tan lejos como se ha llegado.

View attachment 9362

nullcpupowermanagement.kext Coloque la carpeta efi / clover / kext / others y pegue este kext. Luego intente nuevamente para que la PC no bloquee la CPU

Fureniku

Mobo
MSI X99 SLI Plus
CPU
Intel i7 5820k
GPU
GTX 1080
You need to look at one of the X99 Workstation guides for your system. These X99 systems require a very different setup compared to a standard desktop System.

I would suggest following this guide might be a better option - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...sierra-10-13-clover-guide-100-working.240052/
Thanks, I followed the guide linked there combined with a bit of googling and got considerably closer! I've managed to get as far as the macOS desktop (once) now.

However, the system is incredible sluggish, a single keypress takes a few seconds to appear, and by the time I tried to click "don't use" on the time machine message it had completely frozen. On other attempts it's frozen before login - it does seem to be a time-based thing that after a set few minutes it'll just stop responding entirely. My mouse works sometimes and not others, but when it works it works as normal, moving in real time. Once it freezes, of course the mouse no longer works at all.

1591116211197.png

I'm not really sure how to progress from here so I'm stuck again. I don't know where I can find any sort of error log (especially as I certainly don't have time to open anything inside the OS).

It's worth noting this is still in AFPS mode. Booting back into the installer suffers from the same problem and it'll crash before I get far enough to change it (this is where I noticed keystrokes taking a long time to register). I couldn't find anything that actually explains the difference (it's listed as an optional step and seems to just be a preference thing?), and considering it's slow in the installer I'm not sure if this is actually the problem or not.

Finally: On my first attempt to install, I got an error that was something along the lines of "cannot install on this machine" - I can't remember the exact error, but it suggested the license in my install high sierra had expired - something I'd read about quite early in my adventure. After that I went and made a new installation USB with a fresh download of high sierra, but then found it was actually a much simpler problem and fixed it without having to start again from scratch. So, my USB is technically different to what's on the hard drive, although all the settings are the same. Would this matter in any way?

LautaroP18

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte H55 MS2
CPU
Intel Core i3 540
GPU
rx 570 4gb
Hola primero.
- High Sierra no es compatible con APFS, de lo contrario se congelará a su debido tiempo.

- Cuando inicia el instalador, además del kext que necesita su Hackintosh. Se recomienda ir a la fecha de terminal / escritura 0924000019, luego formatear en "HFS +". NO en APFS.
Y luego los pasos normales de una instalación, con eso hará que la instalación sea limpia.

Fureniku

Mobo
MSI X99 SLI Plus
CPU
Intel i7 5820k
GPU
GTX 1080
Hola primero.
- High Sierra no es compatible con APFS, de lo contrario se congelará a su debido tiempo.

- Cuando inicia el instalador, además del kext que necesita su Hackintosh. Se recomienda ir a la fecha de terminal / escritura 0924000019, luego formatear en "HFS +". NO en APFS.
Y luego los pasos normales de una instalación, con eso hará que la instalación sea limpia.

I had mentioned in my last post, that the installation disk terminal suffers from the same problem as well. I was able to do the date command after a few minutes (I'm not sure why setting the date is relevant?), but the terminal/installer crashes before I can finish the commands for conversion.

When typing in this terminal, I press a key and it'll appear about 10 seconds later. There's a 50/50 chance that the keystroke will get sent twice too meaning I have to wait the full 10 seconds between each keypress, because one doubled character renders everything after it useless and it has to be backspaced anyway.

APFS/HFS is probably the problem, but I need to resolve my terminal slowness before I can fix that problem.