Unsupported CPU Mojave install

macOS
Mobo
Asus Z97-a
CPU
Intel i7 4790k
GPU
AMD 570
I have googled the crap out of this topic and I am not sure what to do.

Asus z97-a with Intel i& 4790K

I get stuck at unsupported cpu and unsupported pch. I had high sierra running on this build for a couple years with Nvidia 1080 but decided I wanted to upgrade to the newest MacOS and put a AMD 570 in it. I now cant seem to get Mojave to install.

I attached my efi and a screenshot of verbose mode where I get stuck.

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
2 x Powercolor RX 580 8GB
First thing to do is to check your Bios settings are correct for running macOS. You may have the Serial Port (Super IO) active.

These are the recommended Bios settings:
  1. Virtualization : Enabled
  2. VT-d : Disabled
  3. XHCI Hand-Off : Enabled
  4. Legacy USB Support: Auto/Enabled
  5. IO SerialPort : Disabled
  6. Network Stack : Disabled
  7. XMP Profile : Auto / Profile 1/Enabled
  8. UEFI Booting set to Enabled and set Priority over Legacy
  9. Secure Boot : Disabled
  10. Fast Boot : Disabled
  11. OS Type: Other OS
  12. Wake on LAN : Disabled
Dedicated Graphics + Integrated graphics card:
  1. Integrated Graphics : Enabled
  2. Graphics: PEG/PCIe Slot 1
  3. Initial Display Output : PCIe 1 Slot
  4. DVMT Pre-Allocated : 128M or higher
Note: If you set Primary Display to CPU Graphics and DVMT Pre-Allocated setting doesn’t show. Save and exit BIOS and reenter and it should be there.

You may not have all of these options in your bios, but check each sub-section to make sure you set the ones that are present.

I will have a look at your EFI Folder and get back to you tomorrow.

macOS
Mobo
Asus Z97-a
CPU
Intel i7 4790k
GPU
AMD 570
I had fast boot on which is weird since I had High Sierra on this build. Everything else looks good but it still gets stuck.

Thanks for all the help.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
I have attached an amended CLOVER folder for you to try. It is based on my iMac1 & iMac2 systems in my signature below, both use Z97 Motherboards and an i7-4790K CPU. So it should work with your Asus MB.

I have amended the contents of a number of folders, kexts/Other & drivers/UEFI being the two main ones. Deleting kexts and drivers you don't need for booting and adding a few others that should work with your system.

I have changed your config.plist to match mine. Using the iMac 15.1 SMBIOS not 14.2 as you have a Haswell refresh CPU. I have added a number of DSDT/SSDT rename patches, ACPI fixes, couple of boot arguments, Device Properties for your HD4600 IGPU, RadeonDeInit=true for your RX 570 dGPU, I have deleted the obsolete USB patch and added the four USB port limit patches required for Mojave 10.14.6, used the new Board Serial number to populate the MLB and generated a ROM code based on the new SMBIOS.

Hopefully this will get you running Mojave.

Simply replace your current CLOVER folder with the one I have attached.

Let me know how you get on.

Attachments

macOS
Mobo
Asus Z97-a
CPU
Intel i7 4790k
GPU
AMD 570
Thanks for all the work on this. I replaced the clover folder but for some reason I still get stuck at unsupported CPU and unsupported PCH. I went through all the Bios settings and they all seem correct. I changed the graphics stuff around to match what was posted.

macOS
Mobo
Asus Z97-a
CPU
Intel i7 4790k
GPU
AMD 570
No matter what I do it doesn't seem to work. I tried unibeast and also did it manually but I get stuck at the same point.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
I have added an additional KextsToPatch entry that may help your boot issue. It is the disable board id check patch

Try this config-v2.plist in place of the other and see if it get past this kernel panic.

Attachments

macOS
Mobo
Asus Z97-a
CPU
Intel i7 4790k
GPU
AMD 570
It still gets stuck, and I swear I have gone through the bios 10 times now making sure I didn't miss anything.

macOS
Mobo
Asus Z97-a
CPU
Intel i7 4790k
GPU
AMD 570
What would be the reason that this graphics card would be identified as a Nvidia 450

macOS
Mobo
Asus Z97-a
CPU
Intel i7 4790k
GPU
AMD 570
So I took out the AMD 570 and did another load optimized default and then tried installing High Sierra. High Sierra was what I had on there before. I was able to get farther than I have had. It made it to the second install screen then went to a black screen with some words that said abort install.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
I have amended you CLOVER folder for High Sierra:
  • I have removed the /CLOVER/drivers/UEFI/OsxAptioFix2Drv.efi and replaced it with OsxAptioFixDrv.efi
  • I have disabled the Mojave USB port limit patches, and added/enabled the 10.13.6 patch.
  • I have left the RadeonDeInit=true active as you will want to reinstall your RX 570 once you are up and running. This option shouldn't cause any issues while installing High Sierra.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

macOS
Mobo
Asus Z97-a
CPU
Intel i7 4790k
GPU
AMD 570
I feel like I am starting to be a pain lol.

I really don't get why I cant get it to work. I just tried the High Sierra with the new clover folder and it gives me some different stuff this time. I uploaded an image to show what I mean. I thought well maybe I need to do load optimized defaults, because maybe I did something. Well it still does the same thing.

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
If you reset your bios to Optimised Defaults then you need to go through your Bios to make sure any of the folloiwng that are present are set correctly. As a Bios will default to a Windows setting, not for macOS. Your bios needs specific settings enabled/disabled for macOS to run.

Change the following settings:
  1. Virtualization : Enabled
  2. VT-d : Disabled
  3. XHCI Hand-Off : Enabled
  4. Legacy USB Support: Auto/Enabled
  5. IO SerialPort : Disabled
  6. Network Stack : Disabled
  7. XMP Profile : Auto / Profile 1/Enabled
  8. UEFI Booting set to Enabled and set Priority over Legacy
  9. Secure Boot : Disabled
  10. Fast Boot : Disabled
  11. OS Type: Other OS
  12. Wake on LAN : Disabled
Dedicated Graphics + Integrated graphics card:
  1. Integrated Graphics : Enabled
  2. Graphics: PEG/PCIe Slot 1
  3. Initial Display Output : PCIe 1 Slot
  4. DVMT Pre-Allocated : 128M or higher
Your Bios may not have all of these settings and some like the DMVT Pre-Allocated setting may not show immediately. You may need to enter the bios twice to check that all the options are set correctly.

Try the CLOVER folder I provided again, once you have made sure the bios is set correctly. Remember that you need to set your macOS drive as the default boot drive.

macOS
Mobo
Asus Z97-a
CPU
Intel i7 4790k
GPU
AMD 570
Not sure what I did different this time but I have a working Mojave install. Everything seems to be working. I have tested the audio yet.

Am I crazy to try to upgrade to Catalina now or should I wait?

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Good to hear you are up and running wiht Mojave.

Yes, that is crazy. Don't for the love of God upgrade to Catallina yet!

It has just been updated by Apple to 10.15.1 because there were so many bugs still to be sorted when it was released to the public. They have pushed this update out very quickly to deal with the obvious and most occuring issues. They will not have dealt with all of the issues, so I would recommend that you or anyone else wait till it is at least version 10.15.3 before you upgrade to Catalina.

You should concentrate on getting your system running as well as it can on Mojave before you upgrade. This will make the upgrade easier, less problematic and less likely to cause any kernel panics. Rushing to upgrade is a receipe for disaster, in my opinion.

You should get the following working, before you upgrade:
  1. USB ports, without using the USB port limit patches in your config.plist
  2. Intel GPU fully recognised, should be easy as I included the settings for your Intel HD4600 in the config.plist I provided. This IGPU can run headless, that is how I run mine, it only steps in when needed, at all other times the RX GPU will be doing the graphics donkey work.
  3. Audio working via your built-in Realtek, Intel HDMI and Radeon RX 570 DP/HDMI ports.
  4. Sleep/hibernation and wake working without needing to power off or going to a Black screen.
I would recommend you use Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper to make a clone of your system. This needs to be done before you make any major changes to your current working macOS drive. This clone can be to an External or internal drive. I use spare laptop drives for this purpose. Making a working bootable clone will save you a lot of heartache and pain should your main macOS drive become unresponsive. This will happen, don't think you will be lucky you won't. At some point, usually quite early on you will fubar your drive and won't be able to boot it, even with your USB installer drive. That is another thing. Whatever you do, do not erase or lose your USB installer drive. It will be a life saver if you do have to reinstall macOS. Especially if you are not sure how you got the USB installer to work!

You still have some reading and searching to do before your system is working at its best. You have just got over the first hurdle the rest of the course is still to be run!

macOS
Mobo
Asus Z97-a
CPU
Intel i7 4790k
GPU
AMD 570
I was able to get everything working and have 2 complete backups of my Mojave install using CCC. I decided since I had 3 working bootable Mojave installs, I would try to see if I could get Catalina installed on one of them. I am currently stuck at afps_module_start :1683.

I attached my EFI folder, hoping you can see what I am doing wrong.

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
I doubt you are doing anything wrong, it is just Catalina is still a bit troublesome and should in my opinion be classed as Beta software.

I will have a look at your EFI Folder, but would like to know which version of Catalina you are trying to install.

Did you get any of the items recommended in post No 15 working correctly?

macOS
Mobo
Asus Z97-a
CPU
Intel i7 4790k
GPU
AMD 570
I got all the items working. I updated clover before I started the update to Catalina and I noticed it add back the usb lnject all. I had my system working without it. So I know I need to delete that one

I believe version 10.15.1

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
That is not correct. Even with a custom USBPorts.kext or SSDT-UIAC.aml for your system, you should keep USBInjectAll.kext in your /Library/Extensions or in your /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder if booting from a USB.

The EFI Folder you attached didn't have either of those custom USB fixes. So I have included the two USB port limit patches that you need for Catalina.

Here is a revised CLOVER folder for you to try, hope it helps.

Attachments