Update from High Sierra to Catalina

macOS
Mobo
Asus Prime B360M-A
CPU
I3-8100
GPU
Zotac NVIDIA 780 amp! edition
Hello everyone, I'm wondering if my hardware is compatible with latest macOS Catalina:
-Asus prime b360m-a
-Intel i3-8100
-16gb ram ddr4 2400mhz (Crucial Ballistix)
-nvidia gtx 780 (with latest nvidia web drivers)
-ssd Sandisk

I followed build and guide from hackintosher almost 2 years ago to get a working (90% working) High Sierra based iHack, but there are some issues I can't resolve (usb limits with patches and kexts installed, slow ssd speed with enabled trim, no igpu)
and High Sierra is 2 years old after all.
Before messing up with my hackintosh and getting a no-hackintosh already, I want to ask you if there's any chance I'll get a 100% working system with my hardware.

Thank you for your replies!

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Your system components are all macOS Catalina compliant, so you should be able to upgrade from High Sierra to Catalina without too much trouble. Even your Nvidia GTX 780 graphics card will work.

You don't need to install the Nvidia Web Drivers with this GPU as it is from the Kepler series of GPU's, which are natively supported by the drivers Apple provide in macOS. I use a GTX 780 Ti in one of my hacks and it works just fine in Catalina 10.15.4 without the Web Drivers.

There are a few issues you will need to deal with before you update your system;
  1. Edit your config.plist and change the SMBIOS you are using with your system. The correct SMBIOS for your system is iMac 19.2. If you have been using this system for close to two years then you will not have been using the iMac 19.2 SMBIOS.
  2. Deal with the IGPU issues, as you probably have a Fake ID for the IntelGFX
  3. Add the correct raise USB port limit patches for your USB ports to work in Catalina.
  4. The issues you reported above imply that you probably need a few other edits to your config.plist and I wouldn't be surprised if your drivers and kexts could do with a refresh.
If you post a copy of your current CLOVER folder I will have a look and see about providing an edited folder that you can use with Catalina.

It would be really helpful if you were to provide a copy of your ACPI tables, which can be extracted to the /CLOVER/ACPI/origin folder on your macOS drive by pressing the F4 key when you are on the Clover boot screen.

Plus a copy of your current Bootlog, which can be obtained from Clover configurator's Boot Log tab or Hackintool's Logs tab.

macOS
Mobo
Asus Prime B360M-A
CPU
I3-8100
GPU
Thank you very much for the reply, I've attached everything you requested (inside Clover folder there are ACPI tables).
Actually if I'll be able to obtain a 100% working hackintosh I could evaluate to stay with High Sierra for a while still

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
CLOVER Folder
Your CLOVER folder has the following items that I would review:
  1. You have SSDT-Kaby_CoffeLake.aml installed to your /CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder. This is a good SSDT for your system as it deals with a number of common issues.
  2. I would however recommend you also add SSDT_XOSI.aml to this folder. This along with the corresponding DSDT/SSDT rename patch added to your config.plist will help macOS recognise your system.
  3. You have both apfs.efi and ApfsDriverLoader.efi in your /CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder. You do not need both.
    • I would recommend deleting the apfs.efi driver as this is only going to work with a single/specific version of macOS.
    • The ApfsDriverLoader.efi driver will load the correct version of the APFS driver for whichever version of macOS you are running/updating.
  4. You are using an old version of Clover, pre-r4986 as can be seen by the old folder structure.
    • The newer versions of Clover now use the /CLOVER/drivers/UEFI folder in place of the /CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder.
    • The new versions of Clover still support this old folder structure but this is likely to change in the future.
  5. A number of the kexts in your /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder are older than expected. T
    • There are much more recent versions of USBInjectAll.kext, AppleALC.kext, Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext available.
    • I don not think you would need to use the EFICheckDisabler.kext if you are running Catalina and using the SMBIOS iMac 19.2.
Bootlog
Your Bootlog looks Ok, there are a few elements that can be improved but generally it is good.
  1. Your RAM can utilise 'XMP Profile 2.0' but you have it set in your config as 'XMPDetection=Yes'.
    • I am wondering if you have the XMP option set correctly in your bios. If not that may be why your system is only using XMP Profile 1.0.
    • Changing the bios setting to XMP Profile 2.0 may give your RAM a bit of a boost.
  2. You have a few common DSDT/SSDT rename patches in the config.plist, but all bar one of these patches, ' _DSM to ZDSM', have been disabled in the config.
    • The rename patches need to be amended and revised to better suit your systems DSDT & SSDT's.
  3. You have three drop tables named in the config.plist but the tables are not present in your ACPI.
    • These drop table entries can be removed.
  4. You have some spaces in the names of your drives, i.e. Macintosh HD and WD Elements. You should not use spaces in drive names, as macOS doesn't deal with them too well. You would be better naming the drives 'Macintosh_HD' & 'WD_Elements'.

Config.plist
Your config.plist is in need of some changes to better suit your system, more so if you upgrade to Catalina.

I would recommend the following;
  • Add the following DSDT/SSDT/ rename patches, all of these will work with the DSDT and SSDT's in your ACPI:
    • _OSI to XOSI
    • _DSM to XDSM
    • H_EC to EC
    • XHCI to XHC
    • HDAS to HDEF
    • GFX0 to IGPU
    • PEG0 to GFX0
    • SAT0 to SATA
    • GLAN to GIGE
    • 300-series RTC bug fix
  • Add these ACPI fixes:
    • FixRTC=true (not required if using new SSDT-HPET.aml)
    • FixTMR=true (not required if using new SSDT-HPET.aml)
    • FixMutex=true
  • You can delete the following ACPI fixes if you use the new SSDT-HPET.aml:
    • FixIPIC=true
    • FixHPET=true
  • Remove the three drop table entries, as they are not present in your ACPI:
    • DMAR
    • SSDT-CpuPm
    • SSDT-Cpu0Ist
  • Add the AutoMerge=true option, so all the new SSDT's and your existing ACPI tables are used.
  • Add the following to the SortedOrder list, as you use it for the Kaby_CoffeLake SSDT:
    • SSDT-XOSI.aml
    • SDT-HPET,.aml
    • SSDT-EC.aml
    • SSDT-PLUG.aml
  • You have a USB port exclude boot argument as shown below.
    • uia_exclude=HS02, HS03, HS04, HS05, HS06, HS09, HS12, HS13, HS14, SS03, SS04, USR1, USR2 (without the spaces between the port names)
    • If you know these ports need to be deactivated to keep within the 15 port limit. why not create an SSDT-UIAC.aml for your system.
    • You would not need the raise USB port limit patches ever again, if you create the SSDT-UIAC.aml.
  • You have the -disablegfxfirmware boot argument active. You shouldn't need this boot argument. I would recommend removing it.
  • These are two WhateverGreen.kext boot arguments that may be helpful:
    • -igfxnohdmi to disable DP to HDMI conversion patches for digital sound.
    • -cdfon (enable-hdmi20 property) to enable HDMI 2.0 patches.
  • I would recommend you remove these two options:
    • NeverDoRecovery=true
    • CustomLogo=No
  • Change the 'Default Boot Volume' name to match the revised no space macOS drive name, as recommended above in the bootlog section.
  • You are using a Fake ID IntelGFX= 59168086, this should only be required while you are using High Sierra.
    • This Fake ID would not be required if you upgraded the system to Catalina, as you can then use the new/correct SMBIOS iMac 19.2 for your system, but only if you are running Mojave 10.14.5 (or newer) or any version of Catalina.
    • As you are running High Sierra you still need to use a miss-matched SMBIOS for your Coffee Lake CPU to work in HS. The iMac 18.3 SMBIOS and fake the Intel GFX obviously work ok with HS.
  • When upgrading to Catalina I would recommend you add these Devices > Properties entries for your Coffee Lake IGPU.
    • Screenshot 2020-04-23 at 14.36.08.png Clover Configurator - Devices tab
    • Screenshot 2020-04-23 at 14.36.16.png Devices > Properties - Entries for Coffee Lake IGPU
  • You should use the 'LANInjection=true' option no matter which version of macOS you are running.
  • I would recommend you set your Screen Resolution in the GUI section of the config to 2560x1080, it should not be left empty.
  • I would add the following Hide Volume names to the config:
    • \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI
    • Windows
    • Legacy
  • For Catalina I would remove the Kaby Lake ig-platform-id=0x5912003 in the graphics section, as it will not be needed and would clash with the Device > Properties entries for your Coffee Lake CPU/IGPU.
    • Screenshot 2020-04-23 at 14.39.25.png Graphics tab - ig-platform-id empty
  • I would add the following Kernel Fixes to the config:
    • AppleIntelCPUPM=true
    • KernelXCPM=true
  • You have a duplicate KextToPatch entry (Enable Trim), one of which can be removed.
  • You have disabled the raise USB port limit patch for High Sierra 10.13.6, but you do not have an SSDT-UIAC.aml in your /CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder or a USBPorts.kext in your /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder.
    • As you have USBInjectAll.kext in your /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder I assume the USBPorts.kext has not been installed to your /Library/Extensions or /System/Library/Extensions folders.
    • I would enable this patch until such time as you have created a SSDT-UIAC or USBPorts.kext for your system.
    • If you upgrade to Catalina you would need to add the two raise USB port limit patches for Catalina (same two patches work with all versions of Catalina from 10.15.0 to 10.15.4 )
  • You should add the External icons patch to your config.
  • Generate an SmUUID for your system. This is sometimes required for iMessage, iCloud etc. to work correctly.
  • Delete the Custom UUID in the System Parameters section of the config.
  • Change Inject Kexts=Yes to Detect.
Additional SSDT's
I have used the DSDT in your /CLOVER/ACPI/origin folder to generate three new SSDT's for your system. I used corpnewt's python scrip SSDTTime.command to generate these SSDT's
  1. SSDT-HPET.aml - This deals with a few IRQ clashes that an occur in macOS
  2. SSDT-EC.aml - This will prevent the EC kernel panic occurring when running macOS Catalina, following the changes to the AppleAPCIEC
  3. SSDT-PLUG.aml - This allows the use of XCPM providing native CPU power management on Intel Haswell and newer CPUs, the SSDT will connect to the first thread of the CPU.
These new SSDT's are in the Results folder attached below.

I have attached a CLOVER folder for you to use if you decide to upgrade to Catalina.

DO NOT use this folder with High Sierra, as it is likely to fail, due to the change of the SMBIOS, which High Sierra doesn't support.

I hope this is helpful.

Attachments

macOS
Mobo
Asus Prime B360M-A
CPU
I3-8100
GPU
Wow, thank you very much for this accurate reply!
I'll try for sure something to tweak the actual High Sierra, if nothing will change I'll try to update to Catalina

I'll report any success, thank you again

macOS
Mobo
Asus Prime B360M-A
CPU
I3-8100
GPU
Hello again, finally I've decided to update to Catalina, following the guide here on Hackintosher and some of your suggests - at least for usb installer preparation.
It seems I'm stuck already at the installation process:
-used Catalina.app from the mac app store to prepare the usb
-erased the ssd as APFS and GUID
-the installation stops at 2 minutes from the end getting the error "an error occured while preparing the installation"

Attached the error and my installer clover folder

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
That is an issue with your macOS installation application, not your CLOVER folder. It looks like your current macOS installation application is corrupt.

You will need to delete the current installation application from your real Mac or Hack, including emptying the Trash/Bin.

Download macOS Catalina from the App Store again, completely new installer, otherwise you will just face the same issue.

Erase your USB installer and restore macOS Catalina to the USB, preferably using the CreateInstallMedia Terminal command.

Reinstall Clover, use the working Clover folder you currently have. Start the installation again from fresh.

macOS
Mobo
Asus Prime B360M-A
CPU
I3-8100
GPU
Hello, done from the scratch:
-downloaded again from the app store
-used terminal command to create usb installer, spoofed ec
-tried both apfs and macos journaled
-tried different usb ports (always 2.0)
still same error

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Are you using the CLOVER folder I provided in post #4?

macOS
Mobo
Asus Prime B360M-A
CPU
I3-8100
GPU
I filled in config.plist almost with all your suggestions without downloading your attachments - mostly because I had to try for 3 days alot of stuff to get a working installer, and now my hack is working nice enough with my clover folder that I'm scared to change... :^)

Anyway, I have a bunch of questions:
-imessage/facetime: I changed serial number, board serial and smuuid (in offline mode until reboot, just for being safer) 3 times, but I'm not able to have them working. Any suggestion?

-is it ssd trim patch in config.plist necessary on catalina yet (which I have already)? With my Sandisk ssd I reach 100mb/s writing and 400mb/s reading (blackmagic disk speed test benchmark on the app store) and I think it could be faster

-how do I change display info with hackintool? I've already generated these files but I don't know where to put or if I need all of them of just the kext (which is going in EFI>CLOVER>KEXTS>OTHER?)
Schermata 2020-05-14 alle 11.10.27.png

-usb ports are working properly with generated kext by hackintool: do I need these 2 files as well? If yes, where to put?
Schermata 2020-05-14 alle 11.10.12.png

-if I put the pc in stop it still works, only the display turns off, then I have to reboot manually cause it freezes

-any way to put priority on display port and not on hdmi from the very beginning, when I turn on the pc?

Attachments

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Answers:

1. No idea about Messages and iCloud, they should work if the Serial Number, Board Serial Number, MLB and ROM are populated correctly, i.e. not using these details from a valid SMBIOS for a real Mac.
    1. Have you used these details from the config.plist I provided? If yes, then they were good to go when I provided the revised config.
    2. Do you know if you have duplicate entries in your iCloud account for the system? I would recommend you log in to a system that allows you to see the devices associated with your iCloud account. Scroll through the devices and remove any that no longer exist, are duplicates etc.
    3. Here is a screenshot showing some of the devices attached to my Apple ID. Screenshot 2020-05-14 at 20.13.21.png
  2. The Trim Enable fix in the config.plist has nothing to do with the speed of the device. It just applies the Garbage collection and removal function to a non-Apple SSD. As Apple set the system to not work with non-Apple SSD's.
  3. Display Files, not sure why you would need to inject any of these. But if you want to try them to see if they help your system run better, then try them ias instructed in the Hackintool Help for Display EDID patching:
    • Screenshot 2020-05-14 at 20.29.17.png Help info for Hackintool Display EDID Patching tab
  4. No you don't need to do anything with those two SSDT's. If you have USBPorts.kext installed to either /CLOVER/kexts/Other or /Library/Extensions and have removed USBInjectAll.kext then you have done all that is required.
  5. Not sure what you mean put priority on the DisplayPort.
    • Do you have your display connected by DP cable to a DP port? If not, then it will never have any form or priority, especially if you are using a HDMI connection.
I haven't reviewed the CLOVER folder you attached. As I would probably be wasting my time suggesting any alterations.

macOS
Mobo
Asus Prime B360M-A
CPU
I3-8100
GPU
I used all the files you provided, imessage/facetime aren't working aswell. I've checked all the duplicates in the icloud account, now there's only the hackintosh where I'm trying the Apple services but no success yet.
Thank you for your files and for your time, I was facing a Final cut issue which I resolved with your previous attached files

macOS
Mobo
ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero WiFi
CPU
I7-8700K
GPU
Sapphire NITRO+ RX580 8GB
macOS
Mobo
ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero WiFi
CPU
I7-8700K
GPU
Sapphire NITRO+ RX580 8GB
You can use the “Install Drivers” tool in Clover once you have mounted the correct EFI partition, to install it for you. It will be in the bottom box.

Latest posts