Upgrading Mojave to Catalina : Best practice for clover install?

macOS
Mobo
Aorus Z390 AORUS PRO
CPU
Intel Core i9-9900K
GPU
ASUS AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB ROG STRIX, OC Edition
Hi folks,

A couple of months ago I upgraded my original High Sierra install to Mojave using the standard Apple Software updater and updated directly from High Sierra with no issues.

Everything has run like a charm, however the new release of Davinci resolve 17 doesn't play well with Mojave (confirmed with Blackmagic who list Catalina as min spec OS) and as this is the main purpose of my workstation it looks like it's time to upgrade.

Is it safe to do the same Apple Software updater for Catalina?

Best regards

Rob

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Yes it it safe to do the same App Store update for Catalina.

You may want to create a backup/clone of your current Mojave drive, use a spare laptop HDD or similar. I use Carbon Copy Cloner to Clone all my drives before any major macOS update. Only once in the past 5 years have I needed to use the Cloned backup drive after a failed update.

macOS
Mobo
Aorus Z390 AORUS PRO
CPU
Intel Core i9-9900K
GPU
Thank you so much for the confirmation, would Big Sur need a clean install? I have no plans to upgrade there yet but just so I know to prepare for it when the time comes.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
I find it is always better to run a clean install on a spare drive when testing a new version of macOS, but that is just my personal preference.

It is usually OK to upgrade from one version to another, just have a clone of your existing drive to hand in case something does go wrong.

macOS
Mobo
Aorus Z390 AORUS PRO
CPU
Intel Core i9-9900K
GPU
That's good to know, this has been my first Hackintosh build and so far it's been imperious.

I'll follow your suggestion and clone my Mojave drive before upgrading to Catalina, think I'll wait for Big Sur to reach .6 (usually fully mature) before upgrading to that. Thank you again!

Railgun

macOS
Mobo
GigaByte Z490 Gaming X
CPU
i7 10700
GPU
Sapphire RX580
I do the same thing EdHawk stated... I have an old disk used for cloning and one for testing new OS installs on.

Just note this regarding cloning with CarbonCopyCloner... it will not clone the EFI partition contents (in your case Clover). So if you want a complete exact clone... lets say you are replacing the drive, you will have to clone it and then install Clover on the new disk's EFI partition and move your Clover files that work for your build over to it.