macOS
Mobo
Asus Z370 A Prime
CPU
Intel I5-8400
GPU
Integrated
Hi All,

Looking to install Windows 10 on secondary drive for gaming. I’ve heard that this can cause issues with my Mac OS install Just wanted to see others experience on this?

Rarely game so don’t want to go to the trouble of building a computer specifically for the job and by the same token, will happily unplug my Mac OS drive every time if Windows is likely to call issues with it.

Many thanks

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
No you can dual boot macOS and windows just fine. All my hacks bar my two iMac servers (HP Gen8 Microservers) dual boot High Sierra and Windows 10, using Clover as the bootloader.

Just remove your macOS drive, install the Windows drive, install to GPT/GUID formatted drive, easiest way is to format the drive in macOS as HFS+ with one partition and then erase the partition when installing Windows. Do not install Windows to an MBR formatted drive. Not unless you have macOS setup to boot in Legacy mode, which given you CPU you shouldn’t have done.

After you have completed the Windows installation set your macOS drive as the first boot disk in your bios, Windows as the whatever, just not as first boot drive. Setting macOS drive will allow your pre-existing Clover to discover both drives and you can choose which OS to boot at the Clover boot screen.

You will probably need to add a few common ‘Hide Volume’ names to your config.plist. Otherwise you will have a lot of spurious boot icons that don’t work.

The common hide volume names are Preeboot, Windows, Legacy and Boot.efi.

lazar96

macOS
Mobo
Asus Z370 A Prime
CPU
Intel I5-8400
GPU
Integrated
Thanks - very helpful.

Steam is now downloading so off to buy a graphics card...

Thanks again

Latest posts