tlefko

macOS
Mobo
Dell XPS 13 9350
CPU
i7 6700U
GPU
Intel HD 520
Hey guys, hope all is well. I would really love some help on this issue. I've been compiling a guide for Catalina on the XPS 13 9350 but I have run into a couple problems and I would really really love some help.

1) Sleep wake does not function properly, just reverts to a black screen on wake up -- I would really love some help on this matter

2) Also Handoff / Continuity works but for some reason no Apple Watch unlock

Anyway, my specs are
XPS 13 9350
QHD
i7 6700
8GB Storage
256 GB SSD
DW1560 Wifi Card/BT Card

I've attached my Clover folder below, I've heard this is a great community and I would really love some help.

The Apple Watch thing isn't really as important obviously. its mainly sleep wake as its really annoying to need to restart every time.

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB

tlefko

macOS
Mobo
Dell XPS 13 9350
CPU
i7 6700U
GPU
Intel HD 520
Hey @Edhawk, thank you so much I saw the work you did helping someone else with this. I tried reading this but I tried those commands and they don't work for me. I swear I've tried everything, I just tried patching my edid and injecting Intel and it doesn't work. The minute it's put to sleep and I reopen the display it goes to a black screen. If it does come back on which happens sometimes, it artifacts and then goes black randomly miduse for no reason. I really would love some help I would literally pay someone to fix this hahaha. I'm so lost. I can send my config if you'd like.

(This occurs with hibernate0, etc)

Maybe it's a USB issue? I tried 0x193B0005 as well, I know the edid is correct value. Anyway, I'm attaching my clover folder again because it's different then the one attached. I would be beyond appreciative if you took a look

(the apple watch thing Is really minor comparitively)

Attachments

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Download and install Hackintool application if you don't already have it installed. Link to download the latest version can be found at the bottom of the first post - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/release-hackintool-v3-x-x.254559/

Navigate to the Power tab, screenshot of my desktop settings is shown below:

Screenshot 2020-04-09 at 17.19.00.png

Post a screenshot of your power settings. To do this press (CMD+shift+4) keys or (left Alt+shift+4) if using windows keyboard, and draw a rectangle around the Hackintool app window .

I don't dare attempt to review your CLOVER folder, there are simply too many SSDT, drivers, kexts and config.plist fixes for me not to mess it up. I assume this came from a guide for your laptop.

Can you provide a link to the post, so I can see what the post originator said about Sleep and hibernation.

Thanks for the donation, it is really appreciated.

tlefko

macOS
Mobo
Dell XPS 13 9350
CPU
i7 6700U
GPU
Intel HD 520
@Edhawk
Thanks for looking into it, I'm attaching that tab below. I'm also going to reattach my clover folder as I've changed it quite a bit. (In case we have to go into it) I'll link the original guide (it is my guide)

The sleep wake is supposed to work and wvf`gorks on the 1080p model, but doesn't work on mine. I really can't figure out what it could be. I just recently patched the edid in overrides but no dice.

***Symptoms, the computer works fine until sleep, after sleep it will usually just have a backlist display that is blank but the computer is still "awake" because you can hear the UI and interact with (I tested this by holding power for a few sec And pressing enter, :geek:which made it turn off) -- so it is still *on*

Maybe it's a USB issue? As after wakeup plugging in the type c charger and removing it causes it to go back to the blank display. (It goes back to this blank display anyway after a little while)

Anyway, I'm attaching everything here

Thank you again for helping

Here is the link to mine: https://github.com/tlefko/XPS13-9350-Catalina

Here is where I used most of the ACPI and dsdt patches (credited)

https://github.com/hackintosh-stuff/XPS9350-macOS/commits?author=maz-1

They're not identical, as his doesn't boot on my system and his POST install breaks it completely.

By the way to clarify, sleep does turn back on sometimes even after the black screen. It's just very unstable and unpredictable and plugging or removing USB c puts it so sleep immediately. Also after sleep display has flickering artifacts

note with these changes the computer usually wakes just fine if lid is closed for 15 secs

Attachments

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
DSDT patching:
You need to patch your DSDT for the Lid Poll fix. Probably need a few other common DSDT patches for your battery and AC adapter etc.

If you provide a copy of the ACPI tables from your laptop, I can apply most of the common patches for your system.

The ACPI tables are not present in the CLOVER folder attached above in post #3. These tables can be obtained by pressing the F4 or fn+4 keys while on the Clover Boot screen. The tables will be saved to your /CLOVER/ACPI/origin folder.

USB Configuration:
You need to makes sure your USB ports are configured correctly for macOS. Create a custom SSDT-UIAC or USBPorts.kext for your system. Here is a guide for you to follow - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/the-new-beginners-guide-to-usb-port-configuration.286553/

Hibernation & Sleep fixes:
The screenshot above from Hackintool show that you need to run the following Terminal Commands, to change your system power settings:

To Disable Hibernation - run these commands
  • sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
  • sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage
  • sudo mkdir /var/vm/sleepimage
Disable other hibernation options - run these two commands
  • sudo pmset -a standby 0
  • sudo pmset -a autopoweroff 0
Then run the following command
  • sudo pmset -g
This last command should show that standby and autopoweroff are both set to '0' not '1' as is the case for your system at the moment. Run all the commands above, not just the standby and autopoweroff commands.

tlefko

macOS
Mobo
Dell XPS 13 9350
CPU
i7 6700U
GPU
Intel HD 520
@Edhawk

Thank you so much! I'll send those tables to you asap. -- really it is appreciated I would never get that right

#2: in the clover kexts folder there already is a USBPorts.kext for this model. So I assume it's correct? If those acpi patches are wrong I'll look at that more closely. --the guide was made for my computer

#3 I ran those terminal commands but as expected it didn't work, I also reinstalled the OS fresh. -- and attached pmset -g output

#4 by the way, I don't care if I need to press a key to wake or if wake on USB is broken, I'm not picky I just want to get rid of the blackscreen

**this clover has the origin files along with most up-to-date changes.

Attachments

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Looking through your CLOVER folders I would comment as follows:
  1. You can delete the /CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder as you have populated the /CLOVER/drivers/UEFI folder. Clover will look for the /drivers/UEFI folder and use that over the drivers64UEFI folder contents. All you are likely to do having both folders populated is cause unnecessary issues.
  2. You have both SMCHelper.efi and VirtualSmc.efi in your /CLOVER/drivers/UEFI folder. You need to remove SMCHelper.efi as you are using VirtualSMC.kext not FakeSMC.kext. The two SMC drivers should not be in the folder at the same time.
  3. Are you using Apple's FileVault? If not you have a number of drivers in your /CLOVER/drivers/UEFI folder atet you don't need.
  4. Are you booting Linux, if not you have a VBoxExt4.efi driver in the UEFI folder that is not needed.
  5. Are you booting Windows, such that you need a NTFS driver for macOS?
    • I have a number of dual boot systems running macOS and Windows and have never needed this driver.
  6. You have a number of duplicate drivers in the UEFI folder:
    • ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi and ApfsDriverLoader.efi
    • DataHubDxe-64.efi and DataHubDxe.efi
    • FSInject-64.efi and FSInject.efi
  7. You do not need any driver with the '-64' tag, all drivers used in Catalina are 64bit.
  8. Your Aptio memory driver has the -64 tag, it should be replace with a newer version of the driver.
  9. You do not need to retain the /CLOVER/drivers/bios folder. Your system boots in UEFI and will never use these drivers.
  10. Your /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder contains a duplicate of BT4LEContinuityFixup.kext 1.1.2 and v1.1.3), the v1.1.2 kext should be deleted.

tlefko

macOS
Mobo
Dell XPS 13 9350
CPU
i7 6700U
GPU
Intel HD 520
I have made all of those changes and am attaching the clover file. Thanks again @Edhawk, I think I sent all the tables correctly if not I can try again. Thanks for everything. I'm attaching clover below.

(note confige plist is intentional)

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Looking through your config.plist I would comment as follows:
  1. You have a couple of rename patches that have been disabled. Even though the item to be renamed is present in your DSDT.
  2. Your DSDT contain 0x07D0, OSYS, which a patch in your config would change to 0x07DF, OSYS. However the patch is disabled, should it be disabled? This is related to the Windows _OSI section in your DSDT. Maybe it is not required as the patch above is change _OSI to XOSI that is paired with the SSDT-XOSI.aml in your /CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder.
  3. Your DSDT contains the ECDV and H_EC devices. But the H_EC device rename patch is disabled to prevent a clash as ECDV is already being renamed as EC.
Given the above I ran corpnewt's SSDTTime Python script using your unpatched DSDT. It generated three new SSDT's for your system, and a few config rename patches, specifically for the IRQ clashes that can occur in macOS with a Hack. The Results folder containing these SSDT's and patches is attached.

From this script it was clear that there are no conflict on the IPIC. So the FixIPIC=true option in your config is not required and can be removed.

The Conflicts not the RTC and TMR devices are also set in your config. These two fixes can also be removed, s the new SSDT-HPET.aml will deal with these issues.

I would recommend adding the three new SSDT's to your /CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder and adding the three rename patches to the /CLOVER/config.plist.
  1. You have four USB port devices with a 'remove_entry' patch in your config- HS06, HS07, HS08 and HS10. I assume this was part of the USB configuration testing.
  2. You have the USB3 ports renamed from SS01-SS06 inclusive to SP01-SP06 inclusive but these patches are disabled. Again I would assume this is a hangover from the USB configuration testing.
The above two points being the case and your USBPorts.kext working as it should you can delete these rename patches from the config.plist.

I would recommend you add the following Fixes to your config.plsit:
  • FixShutdown=true
  • FixRegions=true
  • DeleteUnused=true
You have four Drop Tables named in your config.plist, one of which is not present in your set of ACPI tables. DMAR can be removed from this list of tables.

I would recommend you add the ACPI fix 'AutoMerge=true' to your config, so the SSDT's in your /CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder are smoothly merged with your existing ACPI tables, those that are not dropped.

You have a few settings in the Boot section of your config.plist that leads me to believe you are only booting macOS on this laptop. '-1' for immediate boot of the Default Boot Volume and 'NoEarlyProgress=true'.

You have the boot argument 'brcmfx-country=#a' rather than using your actual two digit country code. This could cause some issues between your WiFi and Router as they may be set to use different frequencies. I wold change this to match your actual country code, US, GB, FR DE, IE etc.

In the GUI section of your config.plist you do not have the Language, Screen resolution or Scan options set. The Language and Screen resolution will be set automatically but it just makes sense to set these so your boot process is not delayed by having to look for these options.

I assume you don't have the Scan > Custom options selected as you are using the -1 fast boot option.

In the Kernel and Kext Patches section you have only KernelPM=true and DellSMBIOSPatch=true set.

I would recommend you add the following kernel patches to your config:
  1. AppleRTC=true
  2. AppleIntelCPUPM=true
  3. KernelXCPM=true
You have a KernelToPatch entry enabled - Disable panic kext logging on 10.14 release kernel (credit Vandroiy), but the version of macOS you are using Catalina, so this patch will not be allowed by Clover. It can be deleted.

In the SMBIOS section I checked your Serial Number, it was found by Apple's support page but the purchase date is not validated. I wold recommend you change this (generate a new Serial Number, Board Serial Number and SmUUID for you Hack). One that is not recognised by Apple, so you are not using a Serial number from a real MacBoo Pro.

IF you generate a new Serial Number you will need to populate the MLB option in the RtVarialbles section with the new Board Serial Number and generate a new ROM. So you don't have any issues using iMessage, iCloud and the other Apple services.

DSDT Patching:
I have disassembled your DSDT and all the SSDT's in your /CLOVER/ACPI/origin folder.

Your disassembled DSDT compiles with three errors immediately after disassembly.

These are the compilation errors.
Screenshot 2020-04-10 at 21.46.06.png

The error on line 3951 is the easy one to resolve by removing the two close-bracket entries. However these close-bracket entries are related to the line of code above on line 3947. Adding the close-bracket entries where you would expect them to be positioned doesn't fix the error on line 3947. It in fact creates another error.

I can't fix these errors in the DSDT, so it is not possible for me to to patch the disassembled DSDT. As it won't work when it is assembled in the ACPI Machine Language Binary (.aml) format.

This is probably why the person who created the EFI folder went down the 'Hot-Patch' route with this laptop.

Revised CLOVER folder:

I have attached a revised CLOVER folder for you to try. It contains the changes identified in this and my previous post.

If you have a working USB installer with CLOVER installed, try copying the attached CLOVER folder to your USB, boot your laptop from the USB, not your macOS drive. See what if any difference this CLOVER makes to how your system runs. If you run in to a problem when booting with the revised CLOVER folder, take a screenshot and let me see what can be done to resolve it.

Attachments

tlefko

macOS
Mobo
Dell XPS 13 9350
CPU
i7 6700U
GPU
Intel HD 520
@Edhawk WOW! thank you for doing all that I'll try it asap, off topic but I can't find your donation link (so please point me to it)

- I'll post the results shortly, really hope this fixes sleep wake ):

tlefko

macOS
Mobo
Dell XPS 13 9350
CPU
i7 6700U
GPU
Intel HD 520
@Edhawk
@Edhawk WOW! thank you for doing all that I'll try it asap, off topic but I can't find your donation link (so please point me to it)

- I'll post the results shortly, really hope this fixes sleep wake ):

Okay, tested this out --- thank you so much for your work however the symptoms are still there. When I open the lid, I get a black screen.

Performance is much better though so thank you! This is huge before it was so slow on battery when it dropped but now it's perfectly functional and it's a huge improvement

:( Thank you so much for everything though, I'm sure there's a fix.

Just like before, sometimes black (usually) sometimes not. Just like before, there are some artifacts on wake and usb devices eject upon wakeup. Ugh this is so fusterating. I really appreciate everything you've done so far

oh and the watch doesn't work but that's not a surprise as like you said its a well known issue and it is definitely not nearly as important.

Last edited:

tlefko

macOS
Mobo
Dell XPS 13 9350
CPU
i7 6700U
GPU
Intel HD 520
@Edhawk -- Hey man, just wanted to let you know I solved everything but the sleep things so if you have anything else to try it would be a godsend :)

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB

tlefko

macOS
Mobo
Dell XPS 13 9350
CPU
i7 6700U
GPU
Intel HD 520
@Edhawk I did setup USBPorts.kext using hackintool. I have hibernation completely disabled and tried following the guide but still get black screen on wake. Would something like disabling sleep proxy client help? any idea how to get to that? I have all the HD 520 patches setup. My display is 3200x1800 but on the 1080P model of my laptop (according to my GitHub) responses sleep is flawless. any sort of HIDPI issue maybe?

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Have you tried using any of the alternative Hibernate modes, i.e. Hibernatemode=3, 25 or 29? As these alternative modes are known to work better with some laptops.

tlefko

macOS
Mobo
Dell XPS 13 9350
CPU
i7 6700U
GPU
Intel HD 520
Have you tried using any of the alternative Hibernate modes, i.e. Hibernatemode=3, 25 or 29? As these alternative modes are known to work better with some laptops.
Thanks so much for your time @Edhawk, I just bought a new laptop so I hope I'm able to get that working lol if you're not too busy lol. Anyway I really appreciate all the work you did for me helping with the configuration files and patches. I'm sure you hear it all the time but it's really generous of you to take the time to do so much.

Latest posts