Whether you want to try out macOS, run Xcode or make a hackintosh you can use a virtual machine to get started on macOS. Remember the performance of macOS, particularly graphical support is very limited on a virtual machine so performance with graphical animations will be subpar compared to a real mac or hackintosh, but it will still get the job done.
This video guide will walk you through the steps to run macOS through a virtual machine on your Windows PC.
Step 1 – Install VMware Player
This is a free offered by VMWare you don’t need a licesne or pay up.
Step 2 – Download Torrenting Software
We’ll need to download torrenting software inorder to complete step 3. My favorite torrent program is QBitTorrent.
Step 3 – Torrenting Sierra VMWare Image
This is the torrent you want to use. Any VMWare Sierra imae will work however i prefer this one because it already has VMWare tools and Darwin set up allowing us to avoid those extra steps:
Use the Magnet link to torrent the VMWare image.
- Copy the following:
- Open QBitTorrent
- Click File
- Click Add Torrent Link…
- Click Download
Step 4 – Extracting the Image
When the torrenting is complete you will have a .rar file in your download folder. Uou will need to extract it’s contents using a program like WinRar
- Download WinRar
- Install Winrar.exe
- When done right click the downloaded torrent macOS Sierra v10.12 (16A323) Image For VMware [SadeemPC].rar and select Extract to… macOS Sierra v10.12 (16A323) Image For VMware [SadeemPC]
Step 5 – Run the Patcher
We will now enable VMWare to run macOS in a virtualized environment
- Open the extracted folder
- Open folder called VMWare Unlocker
- Run file Unlocker.exe
Step 6 – Enabling BIOS Settings
To run a virtual machine on your computer two settings in your motherboards BIOS must be set properly so restart your computer and enter your BIOS.
- Set Intel Virtualization : Enabled
- Set VT-d : Enabled
Step 7 – Start the Virtual Machine
Now it’s time to run the virtual machine it may take a minute or two to boot up.
- Open VMWare Player
- Click Open a Virtual Machine
- Navigate to the location of extracted torrent folder and open in
- Click Sierra folder
- Double Click macOS Sierra
- Click Play Virtual Machine
Step 8 – Changing Language
The language is set to non english in the VMWare image to change it to English:
- Open System Preferences
- Click Language & Region (flag icon in the first row)
- Click [+] button
- Select English U.S.
- Press the blue button
- Close System Preferences
- Press blue button when it prompts you to restart
- Virtual system will restart
Step 9 – Change Toolbar Color
The specific VMWare image has the dark menu bar enabled if you don’t like this you can disable it by:
- Opening System Preferences
- Click General at top left
- Uncheck Use dark menu bar and Dock
The password is 123. You’ll need to enter in 123 when you reach the sudo part of terminal if you are creating a hackintosh.